This document describes how to receive an application with IPAS version 3.1, for a change of ownership/ representative. It introduces pre-requisites in terms of system configuration parameters that are required and used for reception of a User Document for change of ownership/ representative. It covers the functionality as well as basic data structure of files involved in the same.
Following configuration parameters as highlighted in red are required to be done in the IPAS Designer and these indicate the required configuration values for an application reception in the IPAS environment. This can be verified by exporting the IPAS configuration in XML format with IPAS Manager and by editing the configuration file in IPAS Designer.
In the IPAS Designer, we need to ensure that the following properties are checked under the view “UserDocument”
- Changes Ownership – For a user document (to be received) that changes the ownership.
- Changes Representative – For a user document (to be received) that changes representative.
As shown above, we need to select the appropriate checkbox under the “Approval triggers” section for changes ownership and changes representatives. This means that on approval of this user document type IPAS will trigger the change of ownership or change of representative and update the application data with the newly received ownership or representative details.
The concept of daily log in IPAS is to allow the IP Office to track how many incoming user documents (including applications) are received and outgoing office documents are sent on a given date for a particular office location of the IP Office (i.e. document origin) where the document is filed. For this, IPAS system maintains internally a unique sequential number for each document. The range of the first and last internal document numbers received or sent is tracked in the related daily log.
Before proceeding to receive user document, please ensure that you have a daily log in open state for the required date. Daily logs are managed with IPAS Administrator interface.
Basic Flow (User Document reception – for change of ownership / representative)
- Login into IPAS web interface.
- Click on the navigation links “Reception and notification” > “Input document reception”.
- Select the options for “Document Origin” and “Reception Date” in the new Pop-up window
- Tick the “Non Interactive Reception” checkbox if the reception date is not the current system date. This is required while recording a reception with a past date in case of a delayed reception.
- Click the navigation links “Proceed” > “User Document”.
- Select the “User Document Type” as required for a change of either ownership or representative.
- Select the “Affected File Seq”.
- Enter the “Affected File Seq Type”.
- Enter the “Affected File Series” with the File Series number of the Patent / Trademark / Industrial design Application for which the application reception and data capture has been done previously.
- Enter the “Affected File Nbr” of the Patent / Trademark / Industrial design Application for which the application reception and data capture has been done previously.
- Enter the “Receipt Date”, “Receipt Number”, “Receipt Amount” and “Receipt Currency” details
- Click “Receive”.
- Print the receipt for the applicant/agent.
The reception of User document for change of ownership / representative is complete at this point.
Once above process is completed successfully, the system should allow to print the receipt of the user document which is given to applicant as a proof of submitting the change of ownership/representative request. Applicant can refer this receipt for any future reference in case required. Newly received user document can be searched by following steps.
- Login into IPAS web interface.
- Click on “User documents” > “Bibliographic data”.
- Search for the user document by clicking the “Search” with document details from the generated receipt of user document reception process.
Usually, it is required to perform some actions to make transition the patent/ trademark/ industrial design till the grant / reject status according to the workflow. In this context, it is necessary to capture the additional bibliographic information, such as:
- Capturing new owner/representatives details for change of ownership/representatives
- Capturing payment details for annuity or renewal of files
These cases require proper configuration parameters settings. For further details, please refer to related use cases mentioned below.
Related Use Cases
Other related use cases may be added in the FAQ:
- Receive a User Document that affects another User Document
- Receive a User Document which affects multiple files
Affected Data Structure
Additional database information is provided in this section to facilitate IPAS support activities in the IP Office only. It is NOT RECOMMENDED to make any changes directly in IPAS database tables.
When USER DOCUMENT is received in IPAS, following database tables are affected:
- IP_DAILY_LOG record is updated with the last assigned internal document number of the related date
- New records are created in IP_DOC and IP_DOC_FILES for each affected file if applicable; this is to track basic document information
- New records are created in IP_USERDOC and IP_USERDOC_TYPES ; this is to track specific details of user document
- New records are created in IP_USERDOC_PROCS and IP_PROC; this is to track workflow process of the user document
- New record is created in IP_DOC_PAYMENTS is created if details are captured at reception
It should be noted that additional database tables will also be affected if other configuration parameters are set such as EDMS related mappings. But this will be covered in the related use cases.
While receiving the user document, the system may show the error as “No daily log book exists for that date”.
This means for the selected document origin and reception date no daily log is found or the daily log exists but it is not open. Please make sure daily log is created for the recepion date and in open state.