Annual Technical Report 2009 on Industrial Design Information Activities submitted by Russian Federation (CWS/ATR/ID/2009/RU)
Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.
The expression "industrial designs" covers industrial designs and models. Offices which issue design patents should report their design patent information activities in this series of Annual Technical Reports.
I. Evolution of registration activities
Changes experienced in terms of application filings and grants (registrations) with respect to the previous year
As of December 26, 2008 the Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function concerning organization of the receipt of applications for industrial designs and the consideration and examination thereof, as well as the grant in accordance with established procedure of Russian Federation patents for industrial designs, entered into force, and the Rules for the Compilation, Filing and Examination of an Application for the Grant of an Industrial Design Patent were repealed.
During 2009, Rospatent developed the practice of granting legal protection to industrial designs in accordance with the definitions contained in Part Four of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation and based on the application of the provisions of the Administrative Regulations, which was reflected in the Recommendations on the Examination of Industrial Design Applications, approved by Rospatent Order No. 267/18 of July 16, 2009.
Trends or areas experiencing rapid changes with respect to the previous year
Table 1 shows the rate at which applications were filed and patents granted for industrial designs in 2008-2009.
See Table 1
The overall number of industrial design applications filed decreased in comparison with 2008 by 20.61 per cent, on account of both Russian (16.3 per cent) and foreign (24.93 per cent) applicants.
The number of patents granted for industrial designs increased in comparison to 2008 by 30.33 per cent.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide statistics related to industrial designs
Web page addresses on the Office site, which provide statistical information relating to industrial designs – Reports and Statistics section
Information for the use of intellectual property subject matter in federal regions of the Russian Federation; Information for the use of intellectual property subject matter according to types of economic activity; Provision of legal protection for intellectual property subject matter section of the Rospatent Annual Report.
II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, and distribution of industrial design documents and of secondary sources of industrial design information, i.e., official gazettes
Publishing, including printing, copying techniques and electronic printing
During the reporting period the following were published in the Industrial Designs Official Gazette on CD-ROM electronic carrier with search system (primary publication section):
• 4,766 announcements concerning industrial design patents.
Documents providing protection were prepared and sent to rights owners for all types of industrial and intellectual property subject matter.
CD-ROMs containing the Official Gazette were printed by a firm which specializes in publishing such products.
Paper publications are printed on the FGU FIPS polygraphic base using a Docutech 6100 operational printing system by electrographic means.
All printing materials are transferred electronically in PDF format.
Main types of announcements of the Office in the field of industrial design information
Table 2 shows Rospatent publications on industrial designs.
See Table 2
The Industrial Designs Official Gazette on CD-ROM electronic carrier with search system and the corresponding paper Gazette are distributed by subscription. The latest Gazette is available on the Rospatent site.
Mass storage media and microforms used
Data are stored on paper, diskettes and optical disks, as well as in the form of databases or data files.
Databases and office automation
In 2009, the Office published the following industrial design databases:
- the Industrial Designs Official Gazette on CD-ROM, with 12 disks per year. Alongside the Official Gazette on CD-ROM, the Gazette was published on paper;
- sets of information on industrial designs for 2005-2008, on one DVD each;
- a retrospective file of information on industrial designs for 1993-2004 on one DVD. All CDs and DVDs are distributed together with the МIMOSA software, providing a search of bibliographical data, International Classification of Industrial Designs (ICID) indexes, a list of essential features, and also combinations thereof;
- the ninth edition of the ICID on CD-ROM and paper;
- an annual index (one volume) was issued for the Industrial Designs Gazette on paper.
In 2009, the Industrial Designs Official Gazette was published on the Rospatent Internet site and registers of Russian industrial designs continued to be kept with an indication of their legal status. Users are also provided with free access to information on applications for the grant of Russian Federation patents for industrial designs, received after January 1, 2007.
Data on the FIPS industrial designs database, the number of documents contained therein, a retrospective and frequency of updating are contained in Table 3.
Search system, retrospective and database scope (data as at December 31, 2009)
See Table 3
Data on FIPS open registers, the number of documents contained therein, a retrospective and frequency of updating are contained in Table 4.
Registers, retrospective and database scope (data as at December 31, 2009)
See Table 4
In 2009 operation of the current systems for the prosecution of industrial design applications, the FGU FIPS Automated Database and the RF Industrial Designs Automated System, continued.
In 2009, the CD-ROM collection continued to be updated with disks from the Industrial Designs database, with documents providing protection from 1993 to 2009. During 2009, the database was increased by 34,824 patents for national industrial designs and related illustrations.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide access to online industrial design gazettes and to other sources of industrial design information, including download of bulk industrial design data
The web page address on the Office site, which provides access to the following subsections:
• gazettes online – Industrial designs subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
• other industrial design information sources, including downloading of the main trademark data file – in the Information Resources section, Information-search system - Databases
Open registers of Russian patent documents
This page contains links to the following publications:
- Register of Russian industrial designs
- Register of Russian industrial design applications
III. Matters concerning classifying, reclassifying and indexing of industrial design information according to the classification systems applied
Classification and reclassification activities; Classification system used, e.g., International Classification for Industrial Designs (Locarno Classification), other classification (please indicate whether industrial designs are classified by your Office and, if so, which classification is used)
In the Rospatent system for classifying industrial designs, the International Classification of Industrial Designs – ICID (Locarno Classification) is used. Starting from January 1, 2009 the Ninth Edition of the ICID has been used in relation to patent documents.
In 2009, the Ninth Edition of the ICID was used for the publication of patent documents.
During the year, Rospatent prepared proposals and comments on the problem of creating a search system for industrial designs according to external categories W, X, Y (for example Class 06 Furnishing). The possibility of classification using these categories and other types of industrial designs was studied.
A system devised in detail for indexing industrial designs was sent to WIPO in order to provide more effective searches of various industrial designs databases.
Rospatent took part in the test classification of industrial designs, using the categories W, X, Y on a large array of documents in order to determine their effectiveness for various types of industrial designs.
Bibliographic data and processing
All industrial design application documents received by the Office in 2009 were numbered using optical symbol recognition software and the bibliographical data in electronic form are used in the Russian Federation Industrial Designs Automated Prosecution System, the Automated Database and for publication of information electronically.
Two-digit INID digital codes are used to index bibliographical data on standard forms and in the automated system.
IV. Search file establishment and upkeep
The industrial design collection consists of two arrays of documents:
- national and foreign special or general gazettes with sections on industrial designs on various types of carriers (Industrial Designs of Russia Electronic Gazette on CD-ROM, the set of Industrial Designs of Russia for 1993-2009 on DVD), grouped in accordance with ICID indexes or gazette issues;
- a specialized collection of a wide range of titles of industrial design publications, which comprises materials containing publications from national gazettes with a translation of the name of the industrial design into Russian and other literature. This collection is grouped according to the ICID indexes and varies in depth according to each country.
In 2009, on the Rospatent site access was granted through the Internet to:
- an information search system relating to national patent documentation;
- registers of Russian patent documents relating to industrial designs;
- registers containing information on the prosecution of applications filed in 2007-2009 for the grant of industrial design patents;
- the Rospatent Industrial Designs Official Gazette.
Rospatent Internet resources include the following databases:
- a database of industrial designs (contains information on 37,000 patents for industrial designs from 1993 to 2009 inclusive);
- a database of industrial design applications filed in 2008 (contains information on the prosecution of 13,000 applications inclusive);
- an ICID database.
The collection is updated on paper by means of the inclusion of current documentation on industrial designs of the Russian Federation and documentation received from foreign partners of Rospatent as part of the international exchange system, and also through the acquisition of literature by subscription from major foreign publishing houses.
The databases are updated with the following frequency:
- industrial designs database – monthly;
- database of industrial design applications filed in 2007-2009 – daily.
A search of the Industrial Designs of the Russian Federation Automated System is carried out by examiners, which includes all applications from 1991 onwards with weekly updating of the data. Operation of the industrial designs software continues, providing an overview of search results for the trademark database, on the basis of pre-prepared search instructions to prevent unfair competition when using trademarks and industrial designs.
Storage, including mass storage media
Storage conditions for the collections correspond to the types of information carriers used:
• patent documentation on paper is stored in cases on shelves;
• on micro carriers – in metal boxes, files – film libraries (microfilms) and in metal cabinets (microfiches);
• on CD-ROMs – in special cabinets.
Documentation from other offices maintained and/or considered part of the available search file
The FGU FIPS All-Union Patent Technology library (VPTB) Division receives information on industrial designs from 49 countries and three international organizations.
V. Activities in the field of computerized search systems for industrial designs
In-house systems (online/offline)
The in-house system used since 1991 is the Industrial Designs of the Russian Federation Automated System, which is used for searches when examining industrial design applications, to create outgoing correspondence, and is the source of electronic data for the publication of information in official editions.
The system contains a file of data on applications and patents, including graphics files with illustrations of industrial designs and the International Classification of Industrial Designs automated subsystem.
In 2009, the transition was made to the ICID-9 version.
When conducting searches of industrial design applications, FGU FIPS examiners use industrial design databases freely available on the Internet. Below is a list of the countries which provide information on their industrial designs in the corresponding Internet databases.
1. Countries and organizations included in the minimum compulsory search field:
WIPO (Hague Agreement Concerning the International Deposit of Industrial Designs)
United States of America
2. Additional information resources from other countries and organizations: European Union (OHIM), Argentina, Australia, Austria, Brazil, Canada, China, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Mexico, Moldova, New Zealand, Norway, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Korea, Slovakia, Slovenia, Switzerland, Turkey and Ukraine.
Administrative management systems (e.g., register, legal status, statistics and administrative support)
Industrial design applications are registered in the TM-ADMIN system. Procedures for exporting data into the system of prosecution of applications for inventions, utility models and industrial designs – FGU FIPS Automated Database – have been devised and introduced.
The FGU FIPS Automated Database is designed to monitor the prosecution of applications for inventions, utility models and industrial designs, account for the payment of patent fees, draw up plans and reports relating to the activities of examination divisions, prepare data for publication and obtain information on Rospatent activities included in the Rospatent and WIPO Annual Reports.
The system guarantees the entry and registration of application materials and incoming letters, prepares outgoing correspondence, and monitors all processes in the life cycle of applications, beginning from application filing up to the examination decision (grant, refusal, withdrawal), verifies the periods for examination of correspondence and those for carrying out examinations.
The system functions in real time.
The programming language BASIC, Web-Builder, DISI, RE screen editor and WINNIX terminal emulator are used as production means in the UniVerse SU database environment.
The FGU FIPS Automated Database system is integrated with the Industrial Designs of the Russian Federation Automated System (a two-way exchange of data takes place).
Equipment used (hardware, including the types of terminal and network used, and software), data carriers used
HP DL380 server – 6 units.
(ОM – 4GB, processors - 2, external memory – 200 GB)
HP DL580 server – 4 units.
(ОM – 16GB, processors - 4, external memory - 600 GB)
HP P4 and Fujitsu-Siemens workstations - 140 units.
Solaris, Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 operating systems.
SDLT and Ultrium magnetic tapes
VI. Administration of industrial design information products and services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, registering designs, assisting clients with search procedures, obtaining official publications and registry extracts)
Planning, administration, automation, security
The Central Patent Collection (TSPF) contains national and foreign patent documents on all types of industrial property subject matter, including industrial designs, both in the form of full-text descriptions of inventions for applications and patents, and also bibliographical, abstract, reference-search and other information.
The FGU FIPS VPTB provides free access to the TSPF without any restrictions and serves all categories of users in Russia (including examiners), and also from neighboring and other foreign countries.
The Library premises are equipped with an alarm system and an automatic fire-fighting system.
Collection management, preservation
The specialized collection of industrial designs includes:
- full descriptions for industrial designs from foreign countries;
- (artistic) design periodicals;
- advertising prospectuses and catalogs;
- thematic collections of publications from the national gazettes of a number of foreign countries;
- method-related and reference literature.
The overall volume of this Collection is 2.3 million editions, including:
- around 120,000 full descriptions of industrial designs from foreign countries;
- national and foreign journals on designs and new types of products constitute more than 35,700 copies;
- thematic collections from national gazettes of a number of foreign countries constitute more than 2.1 million publications;
- a special collection of advertising prospectuses and catalogs linked to exhibitions, as well as advertising for new goods and other items containing 47,200 copies of publications.
The collection of official industrial design publications in the TSPF is provided by various countries and covers various periods.
Information services available to the public (including computerized services and search files contained in libraries remote from your Office and industrial design information posted by your Office on the World Wide Web)
The FGU FIPS VPTB is equipped with a special room for work with information on industrial designs for all categories of users.
- the number of gazettes issued constituted more than 25,300 storage units on paper and about 2,000 on an electronic carrier;
- the number of thematic collections issued constituted 33,300 units;
- the number of design journals issued constituted about 5,800 copies;
- the number of advertising prospectuses and catalogs issued constituted more than 46,100 copies.
In 2009 users were given access to the Industrial Designs Official Gazette on CD-ROM, with a frequency of 12 issues per year. Alongside the Official Gazette on CD-ROM the Gazette was published on paper.
For new subscribers, and also for the purposes of keeping patent collections up to date, sets of the Industrial Designs Official Gazette on CD-ROM, issued during the past few years (2006-2008), were on offer.
Additionally, users were offered sets of information on industrial designs for 2005-2008, each on one DVD, and also a retrospective set of files of information on industrial designs for 1993-2004 on one DVD.
All CD-ROMS and DVDs are distributed together with the MIMOSA software which provides a search of bibliographical data, ICID indexes, a list of essential features and also combinations thereof.
In 2009, users were offered the new Ninth Edition of the ICID on CD-ROM and on paper.
In 2009, the Industrial Designs Official Gazette was published on the Rospatent Internet site and registers of Russian industrial designs, with details of their legal status, continued to be kept. Users are also granted free access to information on applications for the grant of a Russian Federation patent for an industrial design, with a date of receipt after January 1, 2007.
Users' work with information search system
Access for external users to the industrial designs database is provided by agreement.
Free access to the industrial designs database is provided for 83 organizations of the Federal Court Bailiffs Service.
External users are provided free of charge with access to:
- a database containing documents published in the latest Industrial Designs Gazette;
- the ICID database.
Table 5 contains data on the number of search system database inquiries.
See Table 5
Table 6 contains data on the number of database inquiries for registers on trademarks, appellations of origin, national trademarks, international trademarks and trademark applications.
See Table 6
URLs of web pages of the Office's website for electronic filing of industrial design applications
The web page address on the Office site for the electronic filing of an industrial design application
– electronic filing procedure is missing from the site.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide information on business procedures such as: filing, publication, examination and registration procedures related to industrial designs; opposition and appeal procedures related to industrial designs; etc.
The web page addresses on the Office site, which provide information on commercial procedures include:
• application filing procedures – Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function concerning organization of the receipt of applications for industrial designs and the consideration and examination thereof, as well as the grant, in accordance with established procedure, of Russian Federation patents for industrial designs
Model applications, declarations and requests and examples of their completion in the downloads library heading
Patent and other fees subsection
• Publication procedure – Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function concerning the keeping of registers of registered intellectual property subject matter, publication of information on registered intellectual property subject matter, applications filed, and patents and certificates granted therefor, validity, termination and renewal of validity of legal protection for intellectual property subject matter, transfer of rights in protected subject matter, and official registration of intellectual property subject matter
Regulations on Official Publications of the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks in the Publishing section
Industrial designs subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
Databases subsection in the Information Resources – Information Search System section
Open registers subsection
Industrial Designs heading in Prospectus of Publications and Databases in the Publishing section
Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function concerning organization of the receipt of applications for industrial designs and the consideration and examination thereof, as well as the grant, in accordance with established procedure, of Russian Federation patents for industrial designs
• Patent Disputes Chamber Division section
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide a description of information products and services offered by the Office (e.g., industrial design search service(s) and industrial design databases), as well as information on how to access and utilize them
The following web page addresses on the Office site provide information on information products and services supplied by the Office:
• conducting searches – in the Information Resources section:
Information-search system: Databases subsection
Open registers http://www1.fips.ru/wps/portal/Registers/ subsections;
Industrial designs subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
All-Russian Patent Technology Library Division section
• Industrial designs database – Databases subsection in the Information Search System section
• Information on access to and use of resources in the Information Search System section Support
VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of industrial design documentation and information
International or regional cooperation in the exchange of industrial design information, e.g., in the form of official gazettes
Within the framework of international exchange, in 2009 the Rospatent Industrial Designs Official Gazette was sent to 50 foreign countries in 53 annual sets on optical disks.
In 2009, the following were received:
- separately published specialized gazettes – 30 copies on paper;
- general gazettes with sections on industrial designs - 164 copies on paper.
Exchange of machine-readable information, e.g., data contained on CD-ROM or magnetic tape
Within the framework of international exchange, in 2009 the Rospatent Industrial Designs Official Gazette was sent on optical disks to 50 foreign countries in 53 annual sets.
In 2009, the following were received:
- separately published specialized gazettes – 212 copies on optical disks and 408 copies downloaded from the Internet;
- general gazettes with sections on industrial designs – 428 copies on optical disks and 470 copies downloaded from the Internet.
VIII. Matters concerning education and training, including technical assistance to developing countries (please indicate URLs of web pages of the Office’s website wherever appropriate)
Promotional activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, advertising, etc.)
In 2009, the subjects of ten conferences and seminars, held in different regions of Russia, and also a number of international exhibitions, were devoted to the problems of protecting industrial designs.
The main feature of the conferences and round tables held in 2009 was the fact that they were conducted in the context of the entry into force of most of the Administrative Regulations in this sphere of activity. Brief information on the most important of those events is given below.
1.1. April 2 – Scientific and practical conference, Legal protection of intellectual property subject matter in the context of the entry into force of Part IV of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation as part of the Twelfth International Exhibition Archimedes – 2009 at Sokol’niki. The competition program of the Twelfth Moscow International Industrial Property Exhibition Archimedes – 2009 was presented, including in the nomination for Best Industrial Design.
Eleven reports by leading Rospatent and FGU FIPS specialists were given. About 90 people took part in the work of the Conference.
1.2. July 2 – meeting of the Head of Rospatent, B.P. Simonov, with patent attorneys on the subject of New administrative procedures and the practice of their application, in which about 200 people took part, including about 150 patent attorneys representing the different regions of the Russian Federation and also leading Rospatent and FGU FIPS specialists.
1.3. August 26-29 – Round table as part of the Ninth Moscow International Exhibition of Innovations and Investment on the territory of the All-Russian Exhibition Center (VVS). Two reports were given by Rospatent.
1.4. October 8-9 –Thirteenth scientific and practical conference of Rospatent, Legal protection of intellectual property subject matter in the context of the entry into force of the Administrative Regulations.
Representatives of international organizations, patent offices from foreign countries, a number of State bodies, public organizations and associations, the Russian Academy of Sciences, institutions of higher education and scientific research institutes, industrial firms, administrative-management structures, information centers and other organizations from a number of regions, individual foreign organizations, companies and firms, including foreign patent attorneys and legal entities, representatives of legal and commercial organizations, patent attorneys, specialists and interested parties from the Russian Federation, leaders and specialists from the central authorities of Rospatent, FGU FIPS and RGIIS took part in the work of the Conference.
A total of about 300 people took part in the work of the conference, including eight from other foreign countries and 12 from neighboring foreign countries. The number of Russian regions represented was 48.
Training courses for national and foreign participants
In order to adapt the examiners in the Industrial Designs Division to the new legal regulation, a study cycle was conducted as part of in-house tuition on the study and application in work of the provisions of the Administrative Regulations on Industrial Designs, which entered into force in 2009.
In 2009, at the headquarters of the Industrial Designs Division an individual training course was organized and held for a specialist from the RGKP “NIIS” of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
IX.Other general information related to the Office that is available on the Internet -- URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that:
provide information on legislation related to industrial designs
Web page addresses on the Office site, which:
• provide information on industrial design legislation - Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function concerning organization of the receipt of applications for industrial designs, and the consideration and examination thereof, as well as the grant in accordance with established procedure of Russian Federation patents for industrial designs
Inventions, utility models and industrial designs subsection in the Normative Documents section
Normative and legal documents subsection in the Industrial Designs section;
contain the Annual Report of the Office
• contain the Rospatent Annual Report – Reports and Statistics section
provide open source codes related to industrial design information systems
• provide information on open sources relating to industrial design information systems – References section.
contain industrial design-related news regarding the Office
• соntain Office news relating to industrial designs - Main News section