Annual Technical Report on Design Information Activities in 2013 submitted by Slovakia (CWS/ATR/ID/2013/SK)
The expression "industrial designs" covers industrial designs and models.
Offices which issue design patents should report their design patent information activities in this series of Annual Technical Reports.
I. GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Outline of main policies and plans aimed at development of industrial design information activities and expected time frames for their realization.
In 2013 strategy of the Office's activities by 2016 was adopted. It contains inter-alia activities in the patent information area:
- To prepare the draft of the conception of the Office's information services development for 2014 - 2016 in accordance with the Strategic Plan of the Office;
- To identify the WIPO standards related to public services and data providing which are not or are partially implemented at the Office and to prepare the proposal for their implementation with the publication of their content in Slovak language for public;
- To prepare the proposal for implementation of new standardised processes and outputs of the Office related to provided services;
- To prepare the proposal for implementation of new and modification of existing public services of the Office;
- To implement a new complex package of public services with relevant information materials and documents.
Evaluation of the period 2013 - 2016 in the area of information services and the report on their status and perspectives is planned for the end of 2016.
New projects launched or resumed this year in the context of the policies(plans) mentioned above, short description: aims, partners, tasks
The Office has been realising projects of the Co-operation Fund of the Office for Harmonisation in the Internal Market (trade marks and designs - OHIM) since 2011 aimed at more effective services provided to national offices experts and clients and harmonization of the practice of national offices in proceedings on trade mark and design applications.
In 2013 projects DesignView a Quality were realised.
DesignView - Registered designs search tool
Quality - Centralising information on IP Office quality standards
More information on the web page https://www.tmdn.org/.
Main areas of industrial design information activities and related information and communication technology (ICT) practices which were in the focus of attention last year
Projects and activities mentioned in item (b) have been realised in cooperation with the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market.
Statistics: changes in terms of application filings and grants (registrations) with respect to previous year; trends or areas experiencing rapid changes
125 design applications were filed with the Office in 2013; it is 4.2 per cent more than in 2012 . The most active foreign applicants were from Sweden (13) and the Czech Republic (9).
Slovak applicants filed 101 applications (increase by 4.1 per cent). The share of domestic applications was 80.8 per cent of the total number of filed applications.
128 designs were registered in 2013; that is 9.4 per cent more than in 2012.
On December 31, 2013 there were 964 valid national designs.
For comparison there is the statistics on design applications and registrations of the years 2005 - 2013.
Other matters and useful links (URLs): annual report of the Office, news page, statistics, etc.
Annual Technical Reports on Designs:
Annual Reports of the IPO SR:
Intellectual Property Magazine
IPO SR and IPO CZ Publications
IPO SR E-Zine
II. SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES RELATED TO INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Information and support provided by the Office to applicants regarding filing on paper and/or e-filing (instructions, seminars, etc.) - URLs
Basic information which are useful for the applicant by filing the application of particular type of industrial property right are available on Office's website http://www.upv.sk/. These are mainly application forms of particular type of industrial property right, legislation, instructions of the IPO SR, information for applicant, administrative fees, contact to expert assistance, etc. and other relevant information related to subjects of industrial property right laying within the authority of the IPO SR:
What Is a Design ?
Information for Applicants
Legislation - Designs
Administrative Fees - Designs
Data Extracted from Register
Design applications are not possible to be filed electronically with electronic signature.
Availability of the application dossier in electronic form
The Office conducts the application file only in the paper form.
Classification and reclassification activities; classification system used, e.g., International Classification for Industrial Designs (Locarno Classification), other classification
The current version of the International Classification for Industrial Design (Locarno Classification) is used for classifying of designs, which are classified by Office's experts.
The WIPO Standard ST.80 is used for design bibliographic data coding in all relevant outcomes or records. All bibliographic data are being processed in electronic database form. The fully searchable data are updated and made available to the public daily in the Internet.
Within their professional consultancy activities, the Centre staff provides the public with the necessary IPR-related information personally, by telephone (+421 48 4300 131), mail or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax. The Information Centre includes also "Helpdesk" providing information about electronic on-line filing.
The number of requests for information increased in comparing to 2012 up to 8,020 requests. Information Centre provided 6,291 pieces of information by phone; 1,345 by e-mail; 244 personally; 139 by post and 1 piece of information was sent by fax.
Pre-diagnostics of industrial property rights
To increase the awareness of industrial property, to support innovations, creativity and competitiveness of small and medium-sized enterprises are the primary goals of industrial rights pre-diagnostics performed by the IPO SR experts since 2008. During 2013 the Office employees visited 13 companies from the whole Slovakia. The most of them were from Bratislava (4), Trenna (3), Banská Bystrica (2), and Nitra (9) Self-Governing Regions. Although filing applications is not the primary goal of the pre-diagnostics, totally 155 applications in 6 years were received since implementation of this service.
Workplace of the IPO SR in Bratislava
Workplace of the Office, which was opened in 2004 offered information relating to filing applications for industrial property rights subjects last year. In the workplace, there is a filing room.
III. SOURCES OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE OFFICE
Main types of publications in the field of industrial design information, outline of the content (industrial design applications, design patents, registrations, etc.) and medium (on paper, on CDs, online - URLs)
The Office publishes announcements relating to registered design publications in the Official Gazette.
The following numbers of registered designs were published in the Official Gazette 2013:
119 registered designs
77 registered designs with the extended term of validity
Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR"
Design information forms part of the Official Gazette - "Vestník ÚPV SR", covering all industrial property rights in one publication. In 2013 the Gazette had a circulation of 130 copies, of which 28 were distributed monthly by subscription. Other copies were sent free of charge to patent information centres and contact and information points of the IPO SR, to information and consulting sites INNOINFO, within the frame of industrial property information exchange to foreign offices and as statutory copies according to the act as well.
Official Gazettes: main types of announcements, frequency of publication, medium (on paper, on CDs, online - URL), etc.
IPO SR publishes official version of the Official Gazette in electronic form on CD ROM in PDF format. The electronic version of the Gazette in PDF format is available via Internet address http://www.upv.sk/?vestnik-uradu-priemyselneho-vlastnictva-slovenskej-republiky.
The Gazette contains design announcements arranged in following main chapters:
- list of registered designs (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of registered designs (arranged according to the classes of Locarno Classification)
- list of registered designs with extended term of validity (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of registered designs with extended term of validity (arranged according to the classes of Locarno Classification)
- list of registered designs with postponed publishing (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of registered designs with postponed publishing (arranged according to the classes of Locarno Classification)
- list of published registered designs after expiration of adjournment term of publishing (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of published registered designs after expiration of adjournment term of publishing (arranged according to the classes of Locarno Classification)
- assignments and transfers of rights and other changes of owners
- cancellation of design registrations
- partial cancellation of design registrations
- registered designs lapsed by abandonment
- registered designs partially lapsed by abandonment
- registered designs lapsed by expiry of the validity
- extension of the validity of registered designs
- forfeitures of protection and transfers of an owner (on the basis of the court decision)
- changes of the rights of disposal to registered designs (lien)
- changes of the rights of disposal to registered designs (termination of lien)
- registration of licensing contracts
- termination of licensing contracts
- corrections of names, addresses, dates and mistakes
Information products (coverage, medium, etc.) available to examiners, including external documentation and databases
IPO SR Official Gazette http://www.upv.sk/?vestnik-uradu-priemyselneho-vlastnictva-slovenskej-republiky
• Extracted data from register http://registre.indprop.gov.sk/registre/?lang=en
• Internal database system "INVENTIO" for managing the industrial property subjects
• Freely accessible foreign databases http://www.upv.sk/?zahranicne-online-databazy#dizajny
Internet databases in particular:
-Registered industrial designs database of the IPO CZ, coverage: CZ
-WIPO International Design Bulletin
-Hague Express Database (WIPO International Design Database), coverage: WIPO
-OHIM Community Trademarks Database accessible via e-search at the OHIM portal, coverage: -OHIM applications
-National database USPTO coverage US
-National database IPOUK coverage GB
-Search system Designview, coverage: OHIM, WIPO and national databases of certain EU countries
See also foreign collections of gazettes, optical discs and databases as parts of the examination file mentioned in the Chapter 4.
Information products (coverage, medium, etc.) and services available to external users; conditions of access (e.g., free of charge, subscription, etc.)
IPO SR makes accessible various databases on its web site.
Freely accessible national databases are:
- "Data extracted from Registers" http://registre.indprop.gov.sk/registre/?lang=en also called "Webregisters" give public access to data extracted from design register, which are kept by the Office with the possibility of simple and advanced search or browsing results. Data concerning in particular pending design applications, all filed applications or registered designs in the register are daily updated.
- "Classification Systems" http://www.upv.sk/?systemy-triedenia contains design classifications used in Slovakia, links to other classifications systems for classifying designs used in the world and other useful information http://www.upv.sk/?systemy-triedenia-dizajny
- Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR" may be viewed on the address http://www.upv.sk/?official-gazette - each issue is available as a one PDF file containing the whole issue. At the same time it is divided into PDF files containing only selected parts of the gazette, e.g.: patents, designs, trademarks or official announcements. In the archive on this webpage are available the previous volumes also in PDF format. The older volumes are gradually being added.
In the part "International and EU databases" there are links to the most frequently used on-line databases http://www.upv.sk/?zahranicne-online-databazy#dizajny.
Products and services
URL addresses providing basic information concerning the information services offered and information products issued by the Office and other relevant information relating to their accession and utilization
- IPO SR Official Gazette http://www.upv.sk/?official-gazette
- magazine "Intellectual Property" http://www.upv.sk/?dusevne-vlastnictvo
- IPO SR and IPO CZ publications http://www.upv.sk/?publikacie
- IPO SR E-zine http://www.upv.sk/?e-zine-upv-sr
- on-line order forms http://www.upv.sk/?online-orders
- price list http://www.upv.sk/swift_data/source/pdf/Cennik.pdf
- data extracted from register http://www.upv.sk/?databases-and-registers
- IPO SR reading room http://www.upv.sk/?other-services
- searches http://www.upv.sk/?searches
- search system Designview https://www.tmdn.org/tmdsview-web/welcome.html?lang=sk
- Information centre http://www.upv.sk/?information-centre
- Contacts http://www.upv.sk/?contacts
The Office library provides following services to the public:
- providing general information and professional consulting assistance for the public
- lending service (Official Gazettes, special monographs and reference literature) in the reading room
- sale of special monographs and periodical publications ("Intellectual Property" in paper, Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR" on CD-ROM) upon request or on the place
- reprographic services upon request or on the place
- on-line searches in Office's search system, self-service during a personal visit
- searches upon request - orders in written and online form
- registry information provided in the reading room
- CD-ROM workstations available in the reading room
Industrial design and related information on the World Wide Web:
- general information
- information about Office activities (seminars, training courses, etc.)
- application guide and forms
- administrative fees
- relevant laws
- Annual Reports
- extracted data from register
- Official Gazette
- order forms (searches, Official Gazette, special literature)
- Locarno Classification (9-th edition)
- design classifications and related information
- annual technical reports on design information (2002-2013)
Legal status information (kind of information, coverage, medium, etc.)
Information on the legal status is in the internal register of trade marks. The Office provides information on the request in the form of an extract from the Register. In addition, data of this type are also published in the IPO SR database on the internet but have only informative character and do not substitute the extract from the Register; similar to the system Designview where the data are mentioned by the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market based on the information from the IPO SR within the common project.
IV. ICT SUPPORT TO SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES RELATED TO INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Hardware used to supporting business processes of the Office
LAN is a net built on the technology Cisco, Fast ETHERNET 1000/100/10 Mbit/s. Server - Client - DB environment in based on the WINDOWS 2003/2008 Server; working stations PC Pentium, Windows XP / 7, thin client WYSE V10, WYSE S10, HP t5740; Citrix XenApp 5.0 FP3; MS SQL Server 2005 / 2008.
Disc arrays are of the SAN HP MSA 1500 CS, SAN HP MSA P2000 G3 Type; backup is realised by the tape technology HP MSL 4048 LTO 4 Ultrium using the software HP OpenView Storage DataProtector A.07.0.
Internal databases: coverage, updates, interlinks with external sources
The online design database kept by the Industrial Property Office serves for national design searches and purposes of proceedings on design applications. Selected register data are available to the public in the Internet http://www.upv.sk/?databases-and-registers.
Establishment and maintenance of electronic search file: file building, updating, storage, documents from other offices included in the search file
The Office builds, keeps and completes regularly the examination file containing national registered designs via the internal system Inventio. Selected data are available to public in webregisters and are being updated daily.
It is possible to carry out searches according to bibliographic data in all the databases used for designs.
Documentation from other offices maintained and/or considered part of the available search file.
In 2013, within the frame of mutual exchange, the IPO SR continued in receiving design gazettes from the following states and organizations: Armenia, Australia, Austria, Bulgaria, Benelux, Brazil, Czech Republic, Estonia, Georgia, Germany, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Spain, United Kingdom, Turkey, Ukraine and WIPO. The previously received gazettes from: Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia , Egypt, Finland, France, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland and US also constitute the available search files of the office.
The IPO SR received from JPO registered designs stored on CD-ROM in the past year.
Administrative management electronic systems (register, legal status, statistics, and administrative support)
Official automated system for managing the industrial property subjects "INVENTIO" contains designs register (data since 1991).
Administrative databases based on Lotus Domino and Fabasoft eGov Suite.
V. PROMOTION ACTIVITIES AIMED TO SUPPORT USERS IN ACCESS AND EFFICIENT USE OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION
Office's library (if deals with industrial design information): equipment, collection management, network of libraries in the country, cooperation with foreign libraries
In 2013, the Office's reading room has been visited by 1 242 users and 1 218 of it were from the public. In total there were provided 6 142 borrowings of patent and other literature made available to the public and 19 554 copies of patent documents and other industrial property documents for the manual and computer search purposes, as well as copies from technical periodicals and other associated and non-patent literature were made. In 2013 there were performed 9 design searches and 40 searches on bibliographic data.
The Office's reading room serves as a WIPO deposit library as well. The deposit library fund includes 196 volumes of publications issued by WIPO, which are available for study in reading room.
The Office's reading room including the search workstation opens daily from 8:00 to 15:00.
In 2013, within the frame of mutual exchange of industrial-property information, the IPO SR continued in receiving of design information in the form of official gazettes. Non-patent literature was acquired mostly by purchase or as a gift and processed, stored according to librarian rules and made available via in-house database system "Knižnica" to the staff.
Patent Information Centres and Contact and Information Points
Since 2003 the Office has established 10 contact and information points, while four of them are the Patent Information Centres. They are located in state, regional and district libraries as well as in the Slovak National Library (SNK) in Martin and Centre of Scientific and Technical Information (CVTI) in Bratislava. A list of centres and points is available on the Office's web site http://www.upv.sk/?partners.
The main goal of patent information centres is to provide complex information services in the field of patent, trademark and industrial design information, search services, consultation and methodical assistance concerning the searching of information, making copies of required patent documents, printing records from electronic form etc. Every patent information centre serve as a contact and information point.
The main goal of contact and information points of the Office is to inform the public about where can apply for protection of the results of creative activity, and particularly to inform the general public about the existence of the national institution, which protects immaterial goods, industrial property.
The Office supported the activity of centres and contact and information points by regular sending Slovak patent specifications in paper form and the Official Gazette in electronic form, as well as all information materials and resources made available to the public, publications published by Office, information pamphlets, documents and forms relating to applying for protection of industrial property rights, access to office's databases via Internet etc.
Information and Advisory Points for Innovations (InnoInfo)
The mission of InnoInfo centres http://www.upv.sk/?information-and-advisory-points-for-innovation-innoinfo operating in the regions of Slovakia is to orientate especially the small and medium sized entrepreneurs in the field of innovations and industrial property. InnoInfo centres are established in business incubators, regional advisory and information centres, regional chambers of the Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry and at the Universities of technical orientation.
In 2013 the Office co-operated particularly with Incubator Malacky and with University Technological Incubator of the Slovak University of Technology in Bratislava, and also with Košice Regional Chamber of the Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry. (We have to also point out the co-operation with the SCSTI of SR in Bratislava and the Slovak Scientific Library in Košice as PATLIB Centres.) The co-operation with the Slovak Library of Forestry and Wood Sciences in Zvolen, with the Technical University in Zvolen and with the Faculty of Industrial Technology in Púchov developed in a promising way.
Publications related to different business procedures and industrial design information sources available to users, for example, books, brochures, Internet publications, etc.
The Office publishes classifications, miscellanies, expert monographs, acts and related commentaries, promotional and information brochures, leaflets or translations of the WIPO and the EPO original publications (e. g. WIPO information brochure -Looking Good) providing valuable information on industrial property field to public.
The major popularisation activities of the Office in 2013 included:
• Annual Report of the Industrial Property Office of SR 2012, for the third time in electronic version;
10 pieces of the Annual Report 2012 were in full colour version for representation of the Office; also web version of the Annual Report 2012 is available on the Office's web site www.upv.sk to public;
• 20 Years of the Industrial Property Office of the Slovak Republic;
• International Trade Marks under the Madrid System;
• The Miscellany from the Conference Intellectual Property Protection at Universities V (CD);
• The Magazine Duševné vlastníctvo (Intellectual Property) 1 - 4/2013, in colour, web version with quarterly delay.
For more information please see the list of publications issued by the Office http://www.upv.sk/?publikacie
WEB SITE OF THE OFFICE - WWW.UPV.SK
The Office also in 2013 continued with updating the web site daily to provide visitors new information on IP, to inform about upcoming conferences and other events and to update information of all relevant sites within the whole web site.
Except the updating the Office also focused on revitalisation of the web site content in 2013 resulting in easier access to searched information and better orientation of a user on the web site. The Office also started to work on new concept and structure of www.upv.sk as one of its strategic goals within the Strategic Plan of the Office for 2012 - 2016.
There were 135,828 visitors of the web site recorded in 2013; the average number of users was 445 during working days and 163 during weekends. Trade Marks, Patents, Registers and Databases, Utility Models and Contacts were the most visited sites. 66 % of visits were from Slovakia, 5.5 % from Czech Republic and the rest 28.5 % from abroad.
The Industrial Property Office of SR created the new internet portal - www.patentovat.sk - available to increase the awareness of IP and its protection in the beginning of April. It is an update of the informative multi -medial DVD Intellectual Property - the Unique Deserves Protection! issued by the Office in 2007. The portal reflects new trends in promotion of IP protection and information technologies and is linked to the official web site of the Office www.upv.sk and also the social network
Facebook. The portal www.patentovat.sk focuses on public to popularise IP and to provide information on possibilities of IP protection and related services and products of the Office.
Cooperation with universities, technology and innovation support centers, etc.
In 2013 3 specialised seminars took place within the international co-operation. The Industrial Property Office of SR in co-operation with the Slovak Centre of Scientific and Technical Information organised the seminar IP Protection in EU - services of the Office for Harmonization in the Internal Market (trade marks and designs) for Businessmen in Bratislava on September 24, 2013. The seminar with the same name was also organised in co-operation with the Košice Regional Chamber of SCCI in Košice on September 26, 2013. In November 2013 the 5th year of the international conference IP Protection at Universities took place in Zvolen in co-operation with the WIPO and Technical University in Zvolen. The conference focused on national and international designs protection, since the Office co-operates intensively with the Department of Furniture Design and Wood Products, the Faculty of Wood Sciences and Technology, Technical University Zvolen.
Education and training: training courses, e learning modules (URLs), seminars, exhibitions, etc.
In 2013 the Office continued successfully with implementation of the project of education about intellectual property for pupils of elementary and high schools. During 2013 the Office organised 13 excursions with the lecture about IP protection for elementary and high schools and 17 seminars.
IPO SR continued the education programme Intellectual Property accredited by the Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the SR also last year. From September 2012 to May 2013 the Modules A - Intellectual Property and Copyright Basis; B - Creativity, its Management, Marketing and Economy and C - Information in the Field of Intellectual Property were running. 16 participants terminated the study in the module C - Information in the Field of Intellectual Property. 46 participants entered the education programme in September 2013.
Presentation of the IPO SR at fairs and exhibitions in Slovakia and also abroad is an important means for providing information and consultations on IP protection. In 2013 the Office participated in five international exhibitions:
- Furniture and Living in Nitra;
- International Engineering Fair in Nitra;
- Agrokomplex in Nitra;
- ELO SYS in Trenčín;
- CONECO in Bratislava.
The Office also participated in 65th International Trade Fair Ideas - Inventions - New Products iENA 2013 in German Nuremberg in the common stand of European patent offices Internationales Patentinformationszentrum.
During 2013 the exhibitions were installed in the IPO SR premises:
- Exhibition of historical toys of the private collection of Štefan Škorupa from Mýto pod Ďumbierom;
- Exhibition of counterfeit toys seized by customs officers;
- Inventions - scientific toy.
The Office participated in the 9th year of the European festival of science - Researchers' Night. The Office had its expositions in the Avion Shopping Park, Bratislava, Europa Shopping Centre, Banská Bystrica and in the Shopping Centre Optima, Košice.
Information campaign Intellectual Property: Education, Awareness, Enforcement.
IPO SR under the guidance of the World Intellectual Property Organization launched in May 2013 information campaign "Intellectual Property: Education, Awareness, Enforcement". The first stage www.nefejkuj.sk is aimed at children in the age 10 - 15 years. The campaign's objective is to increase the awareness of young people about IP, its protection and methods of infringing IP rights. The children learn to think, why an original product is better and more moral than a fake and to point out fakes and piracy as the problem of the whole society. Also a questionnaire survey focusing on the knowledge level of young people between 10 - 15 years about IP and forums for discussions at 5 elementary schools in SR were realised within the campaign.
VI.INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION ACTIVITIES IN THE FIELD OF INDUSTRIAL DESIGN INFORMATION
International exchange of industrial design information in machine-readable form (e.g., Official Gazettes)
In 2013 followed the mutual exchange of design information in the form of official gazettes between the IPO SR and other offices also international organizations, including the OHIM and the WIPO.
Participation in international or regional activities and projects related to industrial design information
In 2013 the IPO SR was involved in the Project Designview https://www.tmdn.org/tmdsview-web/welcome.html?lang=sk. While taking part in the project the Office periodically made available Slovak designs. This searching tool contains data of registers of involved national offices, WIPO and OHIM. Designview provides centralised access to information on registered designs, which is at disposal of the offices involved in the Project.