Annual Technical Report 2009 on Patent Information Activities submitted by Slovakia (CWS/ATR/PI/2009/SK)
Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.
The term "patent" covers utility models and Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPCs). Offices which issue design patents should report their design patent information activities in their Annual Technical Reports on Industrial Design Information Activities.
I. Evolution of patent activities
Changes experienced in terms of application filings and grants with respect to the previous year
There were 239 patent applications filed in the IPO SR in 2009 that is decrease by 1.2 % in comparison with 2008. PCT applications form 18.8 % (45) of all applications.
The number of applications filed by domestic applicants (176) increased by 5.4 %, and applications filed by foreign applicants (63) decreased by 16.0 %.
The largest share in the number of patent applications filed by foreign applicants (63) had the USA (12), the Czech Republic (12) and Germany (10).
554 patents were granted in 2009 that is decrease by 2.1 % in comparison with 2008.
There were 14 SPC applications filed in 2009. All of them were filed by foreign applicants; the most of them were from the USA - 5, and from Germany - 4. 16 SPC's were granted in 2009.
There were 10 051 valid patents entered in the Patent Register of the IPO SR by December 31, 2009; 4 328 of them were national patents granted; 5 723 were European patents with designation for SR.
In 2009, 3 European applications were filed.
1 871 translations of European patent specifications were published in the Slovak Republic during the year 2009, that is more than 8.4 % in comparison with the previous year.
There were 331 utility model applications filed in the Office in 2009. This number increased by 1.5 % in comparison with the previous year. The number of applications filed by the Slovak applicants decreased by 5.6 % (237 applications). The share of Slovak applicants in total number of 331 applications is 71.6 %.
Increase of 145.1 % occurred in number of registered utility models (250).
On December 31, 2009, there were 1 556 valid utility models in the Slovak Republic.
For comparison here is the statistics on filed patent applications, on granted patents, on filed utility model applications, on registered utility models and also translations of European patent specifications in 2005-2009:
Trends or areas experiencing rapid changes with respect to the previous year
Applications in the field of Engines and Pumps (12.55%), Health and Amusement (9.21%), Transporting, Conveying and Storing (8.79%), and Organic Chemistry (7.11%) had the largest share.
More than 26% registered utility models are from the branch of civil engineering and transport.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide statistics related to patents
URL to Annual Technical Reports on Patents:
URL to Annual Reports of the IPO SR:
II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, distribution and use of primary and secondary sources of patent information
Publishing, printing, copying (main types of publications of the Office in the field of patent information, etc.)
Main Types of Publications of the Office:
Patent Documents (codes of documents according to the WIPO ST.16):
- Published patent applications (A3)
- Patent specifications (B6)
- Supplementary protection certificates (without code)
- Translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (T1)
- Corrected translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (T2)
- Translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (T3)
- Corrected translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (T4)
- Translations of amended European patent specifications with designation for SK (T5)
- Published utility model applications (U1)
- Registered utility models without change (Y1)
- Registered utility models with change (Y2)
- Corrections of patent documents (A8, A9, B8, B9, U8, U9, Y8, Y9, T8, T9)
Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR"
Patents and utility model information form part of the Official Gazette - "Vestník ÚPV SR", covering all industrial property rights in one publication. IPO SR started to publish the Official Gazette only in electronic form on CD ROM in PDF format as from 2008. In 2009 the Gazette had a circulation of 150 copies, of which 56 were distributed monthly by subscription. Other copies were sent free of charge to patent information centres and contact and information points of the IPO SR, to information and consulting sites INNOINFO, within the frame of industrial property information exchange to foreign offices and as statutory copies according to the act as well. Electronic form of Official Gazette, available to the public in the Internet free of charge, contains searchable data, which are regularly updated.
The following numbers of documents were published in the Official Gazette in 2009:
179 published patent applications
571 granted patents
285 published utility model applications
279 registered utility models
15 applications for granting SPC's
12 granted SPC's
3 translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK
1 871 translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK
15 corrected translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK
The Office distributed Slovak patent specifications in a paper form to patent information centres and contact and information points of the IPO SR to build territorial funds of national patent documentation and to the IPO of the Czech Republic within the frame of international exchange. The Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR" was distributed within the frame of mutual exchange to 30 countries including organizations EPO and WIPO last year. In 2008 the Office stopped participation in the production of ESPACE-PRECES CD-ROM.
Main types of announcements of the Office in the field of patent information
The Gazette contains announcements on granted patents and patent applications, including translations of European patents and patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK, announcements on applications for supplementary protection certificates and granted supplementary protection certificates and announcements on utility model applications and registered utility models, arranged in following main chapters:
- list of published patent applications (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data and abstracts of published patent applications with an image, where available (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of granted patents (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of granted patents (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- suspended patent application procedures
- patents lapsed by reason of abandonment
- lapsed (expired) patents
- patents lapsed by reason of failure to pay renewal fee
- refused patent applications
- revocations of patents
- partial revocations of patents
- assignments and transfers of rights to patents and patent applications
- changes of rights of disposal to patents and patent applications (lien)
- changes of rights of disposal to patents and patent applications (termination of lien)
- license offers to patent applications and patents
- license contracts registered or granted to patents
- the termination of force of license contracts to patents
- patents registered in the register after declassification
- corrections of names, addresses, dates and mistakes
- list of published utility model applications (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of published utility model applications (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of registered utility models (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of registered utility models (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of registered utility models with the extended term of validity (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of registered utility models with extended term of validity (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- abandoned utility models
- lapsed (expired) utility models
- utility models lapsed by reason of failure to pay renewal fee
- cancelled utility models
- partially cancelled utility models
- assignments and transfers of rights to utility models
- changes of the rights of disposal to utility models (lien)
- changes of the rights of disposal to utility models (termination of lien)
- license contracts registered or granted
- termination of force of license contracts
- registered utility models in the register after declassification
- corrections of names, addresses, dates and mistakes
- list of available translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of available translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of available corrected translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of available corrected translations of patent claims of European patent applications with designation for SK (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of available translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of available translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of available corrected translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of available corrected translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- list of available translations of amended European patent specifications with designation for SK (numerical series with classification symbols)
- bibliographic data of available translations of amended European patent specifications with designation for SK (arranged according to International Patent Classification)
- suspended procedures on European patent applications by reason of withdrawal
- conversions of the European patent applications to national applications
- abandoned European patents
- revocations of European patents
- partial revocations of European patents
- lapsed (expired) European patents
- European patents lapsed by reason of failure to pay the maintenance fees
- assignment and transfer of the rights to European patents and European patent applications
- changes of the rights of disposal to European patents and European patent applications (lien)
- changes of the rights of disposal to European patents and European patent applications (termination of lien)
- license offers
- license contracts registered or granted
- termination of force of license contracts
- corrections of names, addresses, dates and mistakes
SUPPLEMENTARY PROTECTION CERTIFICATES
- bibliographic data of published applications for granting supplementary protection certificates (arranged according to document numbers)
- bibliographic data of granted supplementary protection certificates (arranged according to document numbers)
- suspended procedures on applications for granting a supplementary protection certificate
- refused applications for granting a supplementary protection certificate
- published applications for extension of validity term of supplementary protection certificates
- extended terms of validity of supplementary protection certificates
- suspended procedures and refused applications for extension of validity term of supplementary protection certificates
- change of validity term of supplementary protection certificate as amended by Article 17 (2) of the Regulation (EC) No. 1610/96 of the European Parliament and Article 17 of the Council Regulation (EEC) No. 1768/92
- assignments and transfers of rights for applications for granting the supplementary protection certificate
- lapsed supplementary protection certificates
- revocations of supplementary protection certificates
- license contracts registered or granted to supplementary protection certificate
- assignments and transfers of rights for the supplementary protection certificate
- changes in data of applicants for granting the supplementary protection certificate
- changes in data of owners of the supplementary protection certificates
- corrections of names, addresses, dates and mistakes
Mass storage media used (paper, microforms, optical storage, etc.)
Patent documents are available in paper form in the Office's library, also in electronic form in the Office's web site and on ESPACE®-PRECES CD-ROM by the end of 2008 only (CD-ROM contains patents from the Region of Eastern and Central European States). ESPACE® ACCESS PRECES (complete bibliographic information) is used as an index to these fulltext CD-ROMs.
Word processing and office automation
Text processing and office administration automation is ensured by application of databases of patents, utility models, European patents and supplementary protection certificates.
(New) techniques used for the generation of patent information (printing, recording, photocomposing, Optical Character Recognition (OCR), etc.)
MS Office 2003, FineReader 9.0, Adobe Acrobat 8.Professional SK, Agfa FotoLook 3.6, Quark Xpress Passport 7.5, Corel Draw 11, Adobe Design Standard CS4 are being used for text processing, photocomposing and printing. SLEX99 – Lexicon of Slovak Language contains following parts: Short Dictionary of Slovak Language, Slovak Dictionary of Synonyms, Rules of Slovak Grammar, used for the data processing. The photocomposing and printing is carried out by the Office.
The Desk-Top Publishing technology is being used for data and images processing, for the Gazette and first pages of patent documents.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide access to online publication of patent documents and gazettes, and to other primary and secondary sources of patent information, including patent publication servers and download of bulk patent data
IPO SR makes accessible various databases on its homepage.
National databases are:
- "Data extracted from Registers" also called as "Webregisters", give public access to information from national registers of industrial property rights and are updated daily http://registre.indprop.gov.sk/registre/?lang=en
- "Patent documents of the IPO SR" - SK and CS patent documents including bibliographic data and also complete patent documents, utility models documents and European patents documents with designation of SR http://data.indprop.gov.sk/Patenty/index.php?jazyk=sk&typdokumentu=patenty&new=1
- "Classification Systems" contain classifications used in Slovakia and abroad divided into three groups:
Classifications of Trademarks
Classifications of Designs
including various additional information.
- "Official Gazette" enables searching in single issues or in a selected issue or in all issues http://www.indprop.gov.sk/?official-gazette
In the part "Foreign on-line databases" there are links to the most frequently used on-line databases http://www.indprop.gov.sk/?zahranicne-online-databazy.
The IPO SR provides electronic order forms for Official Gazette, magazines Intellectual Property and E-zine, expert publications of the IPO SR and IPO CZ, Annual Reports, patent documents and searches (see the part "Products and Services", chapter VI).
III. Matters concerning abstracting, classifying, reclassifying and indexing of technical information contained in patent documents
Abstracting, reviewing, translating
Abstracts printed on the first pages of patent documents as well as a part of official announcements are revised and in case of need corrected by the Office's experts before publication of application. Abstracts appear only in case of patent application publications in the Official Gazette. The English translation of abstracts are being sent to the EPIDOS® for the publication in the database esp@cenet®.
Classification1, preclassification2 (if applicable), and reclassification3 activities; Classification system used, e.g., International Patent Classification (IPC), other classification (please indicate whether or not patent documents are classified by your Office and, if so, which classification is used)
Patent applications were classified, preclassified (i.e. preliminarily classified at the subclass level) and reclassified by Office’s experts according to the core level of the ninth version of the International Patent Classification. The WIPO Standards ST.8 and ST.10/C were also used for these purposes. Classification of applications was conducted before the publication of the application, while final specification of the classification symbol can be done during the search of the application. Patent applications were preclassified by allotting subclass symbols to route a patent application to the appropriate examiner or for statistical purposes. Reclassifying of applications according to the current edition of the IPC was carried out after entry of a new edition of the IPC core level into force.
An administrative system for patent applications was fully upgraded with new features of the reformed IPC.
The IPC 2009 core level have been used in the Office for classification the Slovak patent documents by the end of the 2009.
Hybrid system indexing
By reason of application of the reformed IPC core level for indexing of technical information contained in patent documents the hybrid systems of the IPC are not used.
Bibliographic data and full-text processing
The WIPO Standard ST. 9 is used for patent and utility model bibliographic data coding in all relevant outcomes or records. All bibliographic data are being processed in electronic database form. The fully searchable data are updated and made available to the public daily in the Internet.
In 2009, the Office continued in regular monthly digitalisation of new entries of national patent documentation, corrected documents to relevant patent documents issued by the Office, translations of patent claims of European patent applications and translations of European patent specifications with designation for SK. The Office also continued the production of Official Gazette on CD ROM.
IV. Search file establishment and upkeep
The patent documentation search file used by the patent examiners and the technical public contains patent documents from 26 countries, the EPO, the WIPO and the OAPI, patent gazettes from 32 countries, including the EPO and the WIPO and the non-patent literature (46 titles of technical periodicals and 9084 titles of special literature).
Updating of patent documentation search file is performed regularly according to current technical possibilities.
Storage, including mass storage media
The basis of the patent fund forms the collection stored on the paper medium (cca 10 millions documents). However the majority of the patent documentation is currently received on electronic carriers. In 2009 the regular annual accession of optical discs reached 733 pieces of optical discs with full texts and bibliographic information concerning the patent documents.
Documentation from other offices maintained and/or considered part of the available search file
IPO SR is maintaining the patent documentation collection stored in paper form, which forms, as a part of PCT minimum documentation, the basis of search files within the range:
- from 1950 to 1992: the documentation DD (from 1958), DE (from 1951), CH (from 1944), FR (from 1945), GB (from 1967), PL (from 1963), SU (from 1941), US (from 1960) and the documentation EPO (from 1978) a WIPO (from 1978)
- from 1919 to the present: national documentation SK and formal CS
- from 1993 to the present: national documentation CZ
Since 1993 the Office has been receiving patent documents stored on optical discs from following countries: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, France, Georgia, Italy, Japan, Canada, China, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Romania, Russia, Switzerland, Slovenia, Spain, Czech Republic, Ukraine, Hungary, United States of America, United Kingdom and from international organisations EPO, OAPI and WIPO.
In 2009, within the frame of mutual exchange, the IPO SR received patent and utility model gazettes, as a part of the available search files, from the following states and organizations: AT, AU, BA, BG, BR, CH, CZ, DE, EE, EG, ES, FI, FR, GB, HR, HU, IT, KG, LT, LV, MD, MK, NO, PL, PT, RO, RU, SI, SM, UA, US, EPO a WIPO.
V. Activities in the field of computerized and other mechanized search systems
In-house systems (online/offline)
The Office keeps and creates national search database of granted patents, registered utility models and supplementary protection certificates, which serves for searches and purposes of proceedings on patent applications, utility model applications and applications for granting and extension of validity term of supplementary protection certificates. Nowadays, selected data are also available to public via Internet.
It is possible to carry out searches according to bibliographic data in all the databases used for granted patents, published patent applications, registered utility models, utility model applications, European patents and supplementary protection certificates.
Following search CD-ROM are being used through the local CD-ROM network by the
Ultranet 2000 system:
IPO SR Official Gazette
ESPACE - ACCESS EP - A
ESPACE - ACCESS EP - B
ESPACE - ACCESS - EPC (EUROPE)
ESPACE - ACCESS - PRECES
ESPACE - ACCESS - RUSSIA
ESPACE - BULLETIN
ESPACE - LEGAL
IPC CLASS version 7 (MPT 7)
IPC CLASS version 2006 (MPT 8)
Revision Concordance list between Core Level MPT 8 and Advanced Level MPT 8
List of Blue sheets Espace CD ROM
ECLA Classification in PDF format
legal and economic information, encyclopedia and statistics
Searches carried out in the STN on-line service, access to EPOQUE, DERWENT WORLD PATENTS INDEX® (DWPI) available within the EPOQUE, CAS, EPO Global Patent Index (test version) and the like databases.
Using the esp@cenet®Internet database and other free available databases of national offices (e.g. Czech patent and utility models databases, USPTO database, IPOUK database) and WIPO.
Administrative management systems (e.g., register, legal status, statistics and administrative support)
The Office automation management system – software "INVENTIO" contains registers of patents, European patents with designation for SK, utility models, supplementary protection certificates and PCT registry (data since 1993 – patents, data since 2003 - European patents with designation for SK, data since 1992 – utility models, data since 2002 - supplementary protection certificates and data since 1995 – PCT applications filed with IPO SR as a receiving office).
Administrative management system is based on Lotus Domino and Fabasoft eGov Suite.
Equipment used (hardware, including the types of terminal and network used, and software), carriers used
LAN is built on base of the Cisco technology, Fast ETHERNET 1000/100/10 Mbit/s, WINDOWS 2003 Server; MS SQL Server 2005; workstations PC Pentium, Windows XP, thin client WYSE V10, WYSE S10
Linux Red Hat Enterprise 4.0,
Informix Dynamic Server 10,
Citrix MetaFrame Presentation Server 4.0,
Ultranet – Ultra Console 2000
SAN HP MSA 1500 CS,
HP Storage Works MSL 5026 series library, MSL 2024,
HP open view Storage Data Protector version A.06.00
VI. Administration of the industrial property office library, and information products and services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, for assisting clients on searching procedures, for obtaining official publications and registry extracts)
Planning, administration, automation, security, buildings
In 2009, the Office's reading room has been visited by 1 322 users and 1 258 of it were from the public. In total there were provided 6 802 borrowings of patent and other literature made available to the public and 23 824 copies of patent documents and other industrial property documents for the manual and computer search purposes, as well as copies from technical periodicals and other associated and non-patent literature were made. In 2009 there were performed 50 patent searches, 1 256 trademark searches and 14 design searches and 171 searches on bibliographic data based on 641 written and 18 personally requests.
The Office's reading room including the search workstation opens daily from 8:00 to 15:00.
All online services and other basic information are available via Internet address of IPO SR: www.upv.sk.
Collecting, acquisitions, preparation
In the last year were processed 6 718 patent documents in paper form and 733 optical discs containing full texts and bibliographic information relating to patent documents as well to made them available for search purposes. The entire acquisition of patent documents amounted to
2 198 122 documents, out of which 2 191 404 entries represented documents in electrical form. Other new entries, for instance Official Gazettes of the foreign offices (31) and miscellaneous associated literature, were processed on the monthly basis.
The patent literature (patent documentation and official gazettes) were acquired within the frame of mutual exchange and the non-patent literature mostly by purchase or as a gift.
Collection management, preservation
A list of the complete patent documentation was regularly updated on the Office’s web site.
Non-patent literature was processed, stored according to librarian rules and made available via in-house database system "Knižnica" to the staff.
Interlibrary lending, resource sharing, networks of patent libraries in the country
Patent Information Centres and Contact and Information Points
Since 2003 the Office has established 10 contact and information points, while four of them are the Patent Information Centres. They are located in state, regional and district libraries as well as in the Slovak National Library in Martin and Centre of Scientific and Technical Information in Bratislava. A list of centres and points is available on the Office's web site http://www.indprop.gov.sk/?partners.
The main goal of patent information centres is to provide complex information services in the field of patent, trademark and industrial design information, search services, consultation and methodical assistance concerning the searching of information, making copies of required patent documents, printing records from electronic form etc. Every patent information centre serve as a contact and information point.
The main goal of contact and information points of the Office is to inform the public about where can apply for protection of the results of creative activity, and particularly to inform the general public about the existence of the national institution, which protects immaterial goods, industrial property.
The Office supported the activity of centres and contact and information points by regular sending Slovak patent specifications in paper form and the Official Gazette in electronic form, as well as all information materials and recourses made available to the public, publications published by Office, information pamphlets, documents and forms relating to applying for protection of industrial property rights, access to Office's databases via Internet etc.
The co-operation with patent information centres and contact and information points within the PATLIB network continued also in 2009. Representatives of the centres took part in Conference organised by the IPO SR on the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day and in two-day meeting of the Office electronic services users'. In co-operation with the Slovak Centre of Scientific and Technical Information the Office organised the seminar Patent Information, Innovations Support - Services and News in the seat of the Centre in Bratislava.
Information and Consulting Sites for Innovations
The mission of "innoinfo" centres operating in the regions of Slovakia is to orientate especially the small and medium sized entrepreneurs in the field of innovations and industrial property. "Innoinfo" centres are established in business incubators, regional consultancy and information centres, regional chambers of the Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry and at the Universities of technical orientation.
The Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Regional branch Trenčín, became the 14th Information and Advisory Point for Innovation - innoinfo - since August 2009. The representatives of the Chamber were involved in activities organised by the Office for these advisory points. Since September they have been attending Intellectual Property Institute in the Office. Selected employees of our satellites could deepen their knowledge at the Conference "Intellectual Property in Slovakia IX" and at the "Electronic Services User's Day".
Information services available to the public (including computerized services and search files contained in libraries remote from your Office and patent information posted by your Office on the World Wide Web)
The Office library provides following services to the public:
- methodical and consultation assistance for the public
- general information provided by Office's experts
- lending service (patent documents, Official Gazettes, special monographs, patent associated literature and reference literature) in the reading room
- sale of special monographs and periodical publications ("Intellectual Property", Official Gazette "Vestník ÚPV SR" in paper) upon request or on the place
- reprographic services upon request or on the place
- sending of copies of patent documents upon request
- searches on state of the art, patent families, bibliographic data upon request in written or on-line form
- on-line searches in Office’s search system, self-service during a personal visit
- monitoring of the state of selected technical fields upon request (permanent sending of documents)
- registry information provided in the reading room
- CD-ROM workstations available in the reading room
Patent information on the World Wide Web:
- general information
- information about Office activities (seminars, training courses, etc.)
- application guide and forms
- administrative fees
- relevant laws
- Annual Reports
- extracted data from register
- patent specifications (meanwhile since 1993)
- Official Gazette
- order forms (searches, patent documents, Official Gazette, special literature)
- products and services
- 7-th edition of the IPC (fully searchable)
- core level of the IPC 2006 and IPC 2009 (in PDF format only)
- patent classifications and related information
- annual technical reports on patent information (2002-2009)
Within their professional consultancy activities, the Centre staff provides the public with the necessary IPR-related information personally, by telephone (+421 48 4300 131), mail or e-mail email@example.com or by fax. The Information Centre includes also “Helpdesk” providing information about electronic on-line filling.
The number of requests for information was decreasing also throughout last year. Information Centre provided 5 680 information in 2009. 4 476 information was provided by the telephone, 243 information was provided personally, 840 by e-mail, 116 by post and 5 information by fax.
Workplace of the IPO SR in Bratislava
Workplace of the Office, which was opened in 2004 offered information relating to filing applications for industrial property rights subjects last year. In the workplace, there is a filing room.
Pre-diagnostics of industrial property rights
The Office drew up 30 evaluation reports on intellectual property for innovation enterprises according to the Office’s intention in the area of pre-diagnosis of industrial property rights for small and medium – sized enterprises. The Office received 16 industrial property rights applications from the enterprises for which the pre-diagnostics was performed.
URLs of web pages of the Office's website for electronic filing of patent applications
The Office's on-line filing room enables filing of the European patent applications, international PCT patent applications and national patent and utility model applications in electronic form http://www.upv.sk/?electronic-filing-of-applications.
(For more information see the part „Medium allowed for filing application", chapter VII).
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide information on business procedures such as: filing, publication, examination and grant procedures related to patents; opposition and appeal procedures related to patents; etc.
IPO SR makes accessible various databases on its homepage. Most frequently used databases are "Data extracted from Registers" also called as "Webregisters". Webregisters give public access to data extracted from patent, utility models, European patents, supplementary protection certificates (SPCs) registers, which are kept by the Office with the possibility of simple and advanced search or browsing results. Data concerning in particular pending patent, utility model and SPC applications, all filed applications or granted patents, SPCs and registered utility models in the register are daily updated.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide a description of information products and services offered by the Office (e.g., patent search service(s) and patent databases), as well as information on how to access and utilize them
Products and services
URL addresses providing basic information concerning the information services offered and information products issued by the Office and other relevant information relating to their accession and utilization
- Official Gazette http://www.upv.sk/?official-gazette
- patent documents http://www.upv.sk/?databases-and-registers
- magazine Intellectual Property http://www.upv.sk/?dusevne-vlastnictvo
- IPO SR and IPO CZ publications http://www.upv.sk/?publikacie
- E-zine IPO SR http://www.upv.sk/?e-zine-upv-sr
- on-line order forms http://www.upv.sk/?objednavkove-formulare-on-line
- price list http://www.upv.sk/?cennik-produktov-a-sluzieb
- data extracted from register http://www.upv.sk/?databases-and-registers
- patent documentation fund http://www.indprop.gov.sk/swift_data/source/dokumenty/patfondy.pdf
- IPO SR reading room http://www.upv.sk/?other-services
- searches http://www.upv.sk/?searches
For more information relating to services offered by the Office, see the part "Information services available to the public", chapter VI.
VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of patent documentation and information
International or regional cooperation in the exchange of machine-readable information, e.g., bibliographic data, abstract and/or full text information
In 2008 IPO SR stopped participation in the joint ESPACE® - PRECES CD-ROM
project (patent specifications of BG, CZ, HU, LT, LV, PL, RO and SK).
Bibliographic data and abstracts of the published patent applications and granted patents in English were supplied to the EPIDOS® database in electronic form.
In 2009 continued the mutual exchange of patent documentation and official gazettes between the IPO SR and other offices also international organizations, including the EPO and the WIPO.
Medium used for exchange of priority documents
Priority documents have been supplied to applicants on request in paper form.
Medium allowed for filing applications
Patent and utility model applications are filled in paper, fax or electronic form.
The IPO SR enables except on-line filing of European patent applications, European PCT applications and international PCT applications also receiving national patent and utility model applications including subsequently filed documents relating to proceedings on patent applications, utility model applications and applications for translations of patent claims of European patent applications and of European patent specifications with designation for SK in electronic form.
As a first member to the European Patent Convention reached the Office the full number of stars of office's evaluation relating to providing electronic services via EPTOS system. At present, all seven possible modules for on-line filing applications and documents in the course of granting and registration proceedings on technical solutions are being operated within our Office and supported by the European Patent Office.
In 2009, the share of European patent applications and international PCT applications filed on-line in comparing to applications filed in a paper form was 70%, and the share of national applications filed on-line was 28%.
In the end of the last year, the Office's effort in electronisation of the proceeding administration was awarded by ITAPA 2009 Prize (Information Technology and Public Service) in the category New Services for the project “Who else needs a paper” for electronic filing of applications for industrial property rights subjects and related subsequently filed documents.
VIII. Other relevant matters concerning education and training in, and promotion of, the use of patent information, including technical assistance to developing countries (please indicate URLs of web pages of the Office’s website wherever appropriate)
Training courses for national and foreign participants, use of audiovisual means
Training courses for national participants
The Intellectual Property Course
Since 2000, the IPO SR has been an accredited educational institution providing the Intellectual Property Course. The lecturers are university teachers, experts from practice and the IPO SR experts. An overall number of training lessons extends to 316 hours, out of which 110 hours are lectures and the remaining training hours are devoted to hands-on practical exercising and training.
The Intellectual Property course consists of four separate parts:
module A: Intellectual Property and Copyright Law Essentials;
module B: Creativity - Management of Creativity, Marketing and Economics;
module C: Information in the field of Industrial Property Protection;
module D: Industrial Property Law.
In the academic year 2008/2009 16 participants passed the final examination and submitted their final theses.
Promotional activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, advertising, etc.)
Supporting activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, etc.):
Conference Intellectual Property in Slovakia IX.
On April 24, 2009, the IPO SR organised in its premises the conference Intellectual Property in Slovakia IX. The conference was focused on legal protection of designation of origin and geographical indication and also legal protection of guaranteed traditional specialities. Part of the conference was the Open Door Day of the Office for people who were interested in getting information about intellectual property.
Lectures and Seminars
The IPO SR in co-operation with the WIPO organised in May 12-13, 2009 national seminar Recent Developments and Reforms in System of International Patent Protection. 58 participants (patent representatives, professional public, IPO SR employees) took part in the seminar. National Seminar on Geographical Indication was organised by the WIPO and the Ministry of Agriculture of SR in co-operation with the IPO SR in Bratislava on December 1, 2009. The IPO SR also organised 5th Electronic Services Users´ Days in June and October 2009.
The IPO SR employees trained 40 small and medium sized enterprisers at two seminars – "Innovative Activities and their Impact on Company Efficiency" in October 2009 in cooperation with the SCCI RC Trenčín, and "Industrial Property Rights Protection and Possibilities of its Financing" in November in cooperation with the Regional Advisory and Information Centre Prešov.
In November 2009 the IPO SR in cooperation with the Matej Bell University in Banská Bystrica organised national conference on intellectual property protection at universities.
In 2009 the IPO SR was represented at the 1st year of specialized exhibition “Science – Education – Innovations” and at the 16th International Engineering Fair in Nitra. In the premises of the Office the internal exhibition LOGO 2008 took place resulting from the 1st International Competitive Bienale, where 90 competitive works from 35 exhibitors from six European countries were presented. The IPO SR was also presented at the 61st International Exhibition of Ideas, Inventions and New Products IENA 2009.
IX. Other general information related to the Office that is available on the Internet -- URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that:
provide information on legislation related to patents
Information on legislation related to patents
- legislation in force http://www.upv.sk/?legislation-in-force
- related legislation http://www.upv.sk/?related-legislation
- invalid legislation http://www.indprop.gov.sk/?neplatne-pravne-predpisy
- multilateral treaties http://www.upv.sk/?multilateral-treaties
- EU legislation http://www.upv.sk/?eu-legislation
contain the Annual Report of the Office
The Annual Report of the Office
if necessary, provide further information related to the topics referred to in the current ATR
Information relating to subjects of industrial property rights
Office's Web page contains basic information which are useful for the applicant by filing the application of particular type of industrial property right, such as application forms, legislation, instructions of the IPO SR, information for applicant, administrative fees, contact to expert assistance, etc.:
Utility models http://www.upv.sk/?utility-models
Geographical indications http://www.upv.sk/?designation-of-origin-and-geographical-indications
contain patent-related news regarding the Office
X. Other relevant matters
|1.||Classification is allotting one or more classification symbols (e.g., IPC symbols) to a patent application, either before or during search and examination, which symbols are then published with the patent application.|
|2.||Preclassification is allotting an initial broad classification symbol (e.g., IPC class or subclass, or administrative unit) to a patent application, using human or automated means for internal administrative purposes (e.g., routing an application to the appropriate examiner). Usually preclassification is applied by the administration of an office.|
|3.||Reclassification is the reconsideration and usually the replacement of one or more previously allotted classification symbols to a patent document, following a revision and the entry into force of a new version of the Classification system (e.g., the IPC). The new symbols are available on patent databases.|