Annual Technical Report 2009 on Trademark Information Activities submitted by Russian Federation (CWS/ATR/TM/2009/RU)
Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.
I. Evolution of registration activities
Changes experienced in terms of application filings and registrations with respect to the previous year
During 2009, there were no major changes relating to the filing of trademark applications or the registration of trademarks. It is anticipated that in 2010 the Administrative Regulations regulating the examination of trademark applications will be approved and enter into force.
Trends or areas experiencing rapid changes with respect to the previous year
Table I below shows that the overall number of trademark registration applications filed in the Russian Federation in 2009 fell in comparison to 2008. The fall is 12.27 per cent and is accounted for by a drop in the number of applications received from both Russian and foreign applicants.
There was also a fall as regards trademark registration, but not so significant – in total, 0.49 per cent; this trend was observed owing to a drop of 1.56 per cent for Russian applicants, while for foreign applicants there was slight growth of 0.77 per cent.
The examination of a large volume of applications and the work done on trademark registration became possible as a result of a series of measures being conducted, aimed at reducing labor intensity by means of technological procedures, automation and the enhancement in organizational terms of processes for examinations and the registration of rights.
See Table 1
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide statistics related to trademarks
Statistical information on trademarks is provided at the following Rospatent site web page addresses:
– Reports and Statistics section
Information for the use of intellectual property subject matter in federal regions of the Russian Federation; Information for the use of intellectual property subject matter according to types of economic activity; Provision of legal protection for intellectual property subject matter section of the Rospatent Annual Report.
II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, and distribution of secondary sources of trademark information, i.e., trademark gazettes
Publishing, printing, copying techniques
During the reporting period the following were published in the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on electronic CD-ROM carrier with search system:
- 28,938 announcements of trademark registration;
- four announcements of registration of appellations of origin;
- 10 announcements of the issue of a certificate for the right to use an appellation of origin.
Documents providing protection were prepared and sent to rights owners in relation to all forms of industrial and intellectual property subject matter.
All the information on trademarks, service marks, appellations of origin and certificates for the right to use an appellation of origin was published in the Rospatent Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on electronic CD-ROM carrier with search system.
Main types of announcements of the Office in the field of trademark information
Rospatent trademark publications are cited in Table 2.
See Table 2
The Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on electronic CD-ROM carrier with search system and the corresponding paper gazette are distributed by subscription. The last two Gazettes are available on the Rospatent site.
Mass storage media and microforms used
Data are stored on paper, diskettes and optical disks, as well as in the form of databases or files.
Below are given a list and short description of the means of storing data files:
- the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on CD-ROM, with 24 issues per year. Alongside the Official Gazette on CD-ROM, a paper edition of the Gazette is published;
- sets of information on trademarks for 2005 to 2008, each on one DVD;
- a retrospective file of trademark information for 1991 to 2004, on one DVD;
- the ICGS (ninth edition) on CD-ROM and paper;
- in 2009, the periodical Lexicographical Information Gazette of Goods and Services, updating the earlier published edition Lexico-Semantic Identifier of the Names of Goods and Services began to be issued.
All the products on optical disks were distributed together with the ISS MIMOSA software, providing a search of bibliographical data, ICGS indexes, verbal elements of a mark and also combinations thereof.
In 2009, the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette was published on the Rospatent Internet site and registers of Russian trademarks, service marks and appellations of origin, trademarks well known in Russia, applications for Russian trademarks and service marks, and international trademarks with the indication Russia, including details of their legal status, continued to be kept.
In addition, users are granted free access to information on Russian Federation trademark and service mark registration applications, received after January 1, 2005.
As part of practical operations on the FIPS site information is displayed and inputted daily on current (daily) registrations of trademarks, appellations of origin, well known trademarks, and also notifications of changes made to the State Register of Trademarks prior to their publication in the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette.
Information on the FGU FIPS database concerning trademarks, appellations of origin and well-known trademarks, as well as the number of documents contained therein, a retrospective collection and the frequency of updating is given in Table 3. The search system and open registers databases coincide fully (see Tables 3 and 4).
Search system, retrospective collection and database scope (data as at December 31, 2009)
See Table 3
Registers, retrospective collection and database scope (data as at December 31, 2009)
See Table 4
Word processing and office automation
Paperless technology for preparing and transferring data for daily publication of information on registered trademarks on the Internet has been devised and introduced by the Office.
Techniques used for the generation of trademark information (printing, recording, photocomposing, etc.)
To generate information on trademarks the following technology is used:
- PK HP P4-2.8 16 units
- PK FS P4-2.6 4 units
- Fujitsu fi-4220-с scanner 1 unit
- Scamax 2600М scanner 2 units
- HP C7716A scanner 1 unit
- HP LaserJet 4050tn printer 1 unit
- HP LaserJet 4100n printer 1 unit
- HP LaserJet 2300n printer 1 unit
- SCANPORT handheld scanner 2 units
- Metrologic handheld scanner 1 unit
CD-ROM disks with the Official Gazette are printed by a firm specializing in the production of such products.
Paper editions are produced using an FGU FIPS polygraphic base:
- by polygraphic means on Romajor-314, GTO 52-2 and QM-46-1-1 (for the preparation of printed forms an Inter Plater 66 P developing machine - one unit, a Bacher Platemaker 3071 copying frame – one unit, a photo composition device for proofreading and editing originals – two units and one ITEK-617S processor for producing argentiferous offset printed forms are used);
- by electrographic means on a Docutech 6100 operational printing system.
All printing materials are transferred electronically in PDF format.
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide access to online trademark gazettes and to other sources of trademark information, including download of bulk trademark data
Web page addresses on the Office site, which provide access to the following subsections:
• online gazettes – Trademarks and appellations of origin subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
• other trademark information sources, including the downloading of the main trademark data file - in the Information Resources section:
Information search system - Databases
Daily publication of information on registered trademarks and appellations of origin
Open registers of Russian patent documents
This page contains links to the following publications:
- Register of Russian trademarks and service marks
- Register of Russian appellations of origin
- Register of trademarks well known in Russia
- Register of international trademarks
- Register of applications for the registration of trademarks and service marks
- Register of applications for the registration of appellations of origin
III. Matters concerning classifying, reclassifying and indexing of trademark information
Classification and reclassification activities; Classification systems used, e.g., International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks (Nice Classification), International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks (Vienna Classification), other classification (please indicate whether goods and services for the registration of marks and whether the figurative elements of marks are classified by your Office and, if so, which classification(s) is (are) used)
The functions of examination and grant of Russian Federation trademark certificates are performed in accordance with the International Classification of Goods and Services established by the Nice Agreement (hereinafter – ICGS). In 2007, the transition was made to the ninth edition of the ICGS.
In 2009, in accordance with the program of the International Bureau of WIPO, work was done to complete the ninth edition of the ICGS. At the initiative of Rospatent, within the Working Group of the International Bureau of WIPO, 20 proposals were adopted, prepared by FGU FIPS, which will be introduced into the tenth edition of the ICGS.
Figurative elements of trademarks are classified by the Office on the basis of the International (Vienna) Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks.
In 2008, additional automatic reclassification of the figurative elements of trademarks was done in accordance with the latest edition of the International (Vienna) Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks, i.e. for examination purposes the possibility was provided of searching and reviewing search results according to two separate classifications. In 2009, work was done on the automated classification of applications received according to the sixth edition of the International (Vienna) Classification.
The recommendations of WIPO Standard ST60 are used to index bibliographical data.
Use of electronic classification systems to check the classification symbols furnished by an applicant and which are contained in the lists of goods and/or services
The accuracy of the classification of goods and services indicated in a trademark registration application is verified according to the electronic version of the Ninth Edition of the ICGS.
Obligation for applicants to use pre-defined terms of the classification applied
For the unambiguous evaluation of the scope of rights of registered trademarks in descriptions of goods/services, applicants are recommended to avoid using undefined or general expressions and to follow the terminology of the current edition of the ICGS.
For the correct classification of each specific good or service, applicants are recommended to use directly lists of goods and services, and the corresponding explanations for each class, since class headings indicate in general terms only the fields to which goods and services may in principle relate and do not contain the names of specific goods or services.
Applicants are not, however, obliged to use only the terms indicated in the ICGS or LEXINTU.
Bibliographic data and processing
The dual entry of bibliographical data with the possibility of comparison with previously introduced data at the third input is carried out within the TM-ADMIN electronic document-exchange system.
Bibliographical data are processed for search purposes with the aid of a number of automated search systems (ASS) as part of the Russian Federation Trademarks Automated System.
The composition of the data published on registered trademarks and changes to registration is defined by the Regulations on Official Publications of the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks.
The basic periodical is the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on electronic carrier with search system, which is published twice a month and includes the following sections:
- Official communications;
- Trademarks and service marks;
The published information includes bibliographical data, illustrations of trademarks or service marks or another representation thereof, and a list of goods and/or services.
IV. Trademark manual search file establishment and upkeep
When conducting an examination of a claimed designation, a search is performed relating to the identity and similarity to the use of automated search systems, therefore the collection is not kept or maintained on paper in the current form.
V. Activities in the field of computerized trademark search systems
In-house systems (online/offline)
For the purposes of searching verbal and figurative elements of trademarks, a search subsystem of the Russian Federation Trademarks Automated System is used. A search is conducted in three stages (offline): preparation of the search model of a trademark and search specification; launch of search specifications on the server; and review of search results by an examiner.
Rospatent uses a database of published trademarks on optical CD-ROMs entitled Trademarks of Russia, in which the information search system MIMOSA V6 is used.
In 2007, work was completed to devise the new software for work with the expanded trilingual version of ICGS-9, integrated with an automated search system for trademarks, TM-EXAM-SEARCH (TMES), which is part of the TM-ADMIN electronic trademark document exchange system. The software allows lists of goods and services to be processed in two different ways: as a group and individually, and as a result of the work goods and services contained in trademark applications/registrations are linked with the terms of the ICGS, which will subsequently allow search results to be obtained with pinpoint accuracy.
In 2009, access was available, through the Rospatent Internet site, to:
• a register of trademark applications filed in 2005-2009, updated with information on prosecution of the applications filed in 2009;
• the Rospatent Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette.
Rospatent’s Internet resources include the following databases:
• a database of Russian trademarks (contains information on 322,000 Russian trademark certificates from 1925 to 2009 inclusive; updated daily);
• a database of international trademarks with the indication Russia (contains information on 197,000 international trademarks with the indication Russia from 1980 to 2009, updated – weekly) – for trademark database subscribers;
• an Appellations of Origin database (contains information on 248 appellations of origin from 1996 to 2009, updated - daily) — for trademark database subscribers;
• a Trademarks Well Known in Russia database (contains information on 85 well-known marks from 2001 to 2009, updated - daily);
• a database of trademarks applications, filed from 2005 to 2009 (contains information on 191,000 applications; updated – daily);
• an ICGS database.
In 2009, internal and external users made more than 4,536,000 inquiries through the information search system devised on the Rospatent site, and 11 per cent of the total number of inquiries were inquiries to the trademarks and appellations of origin databases.
In 2009, internal and external users of registers on the Rospatent site made more than 12,880,000 inquiries, and 42 per cent of the total number of inquiries were inquiries for trademarks and appellations of origin registers.
Site users have been provided with free access to Rospatent gazettes published from 2005 to 2009. In 2009, more than 1,024,000 user inquires for Rospatent gazettes were registered.
Examiners use external databases freely available on the Internet – WIPO and INN.
Examiners also use external databases:
• Madrid Express (http://www.wipo.int/ipdl/en/search/madrid/search-struct.jsp)
• Romarin (http://www.wipo.int/romarin/)
Administrative management systems (e.g., register, legal status, statistics and administrative support)
In 2009, work was done to take stock of the changes to legislation reflected in the Administrative Regulations adopted on the performance of the functions of the Federal Office, resulting from the requirements of Part IV of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation. During this work, substantive changes were made to such Rospatent automated systems as the Russian Federation Trademarks Automated System, Agreements Automated System and the Electronic State Registers Automated System.
The Office uses the following prosecution systems in the field of trademark information:
• the Russian Federation Trademarks Automated System for prosecuting applications for trademarks and appellations of origin;
• the unified Agreements Automated System for prosecuting agreements on industrial property subject matter, relating to the powers of the Office, including in relation to trademarks;
• the Amendments to Trademark Registrations Automated System for prosecuting applications received after trademark registration (for example, extension, change of owner, termination of validity);
• the Prosecution of International Registrations Automated System;
• The TM-ADMIN electronic document exchange system for the registration and processing of documents, including the procedures of scanning, recognition and input of data, document examination processes, preparation and dispatch of outgoing correspondence. In 2009, the experimental industrial operation of the TM-ADMIN electronic trademark document exchange system, as part of the program of preparation for the full transition to paperless technology for the processing of trademark and appellation of origin documents, continued. A number of processes for the processing of paper and electronic documents were carried out in parallel. As part of the conception of a smooth transition to using electronic document exchange a system has been introduced for providing an examination stage for a claimed designation for a limited number of users;
• the Madrid-2007 Automated System – prosecution of international trademark registrations;
• an electronic exchange of data with WIPO takes place for international trademark registrations using MECA technology. Preliminary and final refusal decisions are sent to WIPO electronically. In 2009, the transition to using the WIPO ST.66 standard was effected;
• In 2009, the automated system of electronic State registers was devised and brought into industrial operation, including: the State Register of Trademarks and Service Marks of the Russian Federation, State Register of Appellations of Origin and List of Trademarks Well Known in the Russian Federation. As of September 15, 2009, information on registrations is entered only in the Electronic State Registers. In order to provide operational access to information in the Electronic State Registers, the Rospatent prosecution systems were connected thereto. Each entry in the Electronic State Registers is signed with the electronic digital signature of the processor, which allows the signatory to be identified and his credentials to be confirmed at the time of signature. At the same time as information is entered into the Electronic State Registers it is complemented by the entries made in the books of the State Registers up to September 15, 2009.
• In 2009, an automated system for the electronic filing of trademark registration applications and electronic cooperation with applicants was devised and brought into experimental operation – KPS RTZ. The KPS RTZ system is intended to serve processes for the exchange of electronic documents between an applicant and the Office, including primary application materials, using an electronic digital signature, and is integrated into the machine-program environment of the automated system of paperless prosecution of trademark applications – TM-ADMIN. The functions of the system include the preparation and verification of documents and data for a trademark application, compilation of a list of goods and services using the ICGS-9 classificator, the signing of a batch of electronic digital-signature documents and their dispatch to the Office, the receipt of examination documents from the Office, service of the user’s office and a number of others. When the KPS RTZ system was devised, issues relating to the safe interaction of Web-supplements with the FGU FIPS local in-house network, the task of synchronizing data in the user’s office and the TM-ADMIN database, and the task of verifying the quality of information when inputting data and registering a trademark application. The use of the KPS RTZ system is directed towards the processing of electronic documents, and implies a reduction in the examination periods, and in expenses for conducting an examination.
Equipment used (hardware, including the types of terminal and network used, and software), carriers used
PrimePower 1500 server
(OM - 32GB, processors – 10, external memory – 12TB)
HP DL380 server – 22 units
(ОM – 4GB, processors - 2, external memory – 200GB)
HP DL580 server – two units
(ОM – 16GB, processors - 4, external memory - 600GB)
HP P4 and Fujitsu-Siemens workstations - 650 units.
Solaris, Windows 2000, Windows XP and
Windows 2003 operating systems.
SDLT and Ultrium magnetic tapes.
VI. Administration of trademark information products and services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, registering trademarks, assisting clients with search procedures, obtaining official publications and registry extracts)
Planning, administration, automation, security
The Central Patent Collection (TSPF) contains national and foreign patent documents on all forms of industrial property subject matter, including trademarks and abstract and bibliographical information, as well as search-reference and other information.
The FGU FIPS All-Russian Patent Technology Library (VPTB) provides free access without any restrictions to the TSPF and serves all categories of users in Russia (including examiners), and also users from neighboring and other foreign countries.
The Library’s premises are equipped with an alarm system and an automatic fire-fighting system.
Collection management, preservation
The trademarks collection is held at the VPTB both on paper and optical disks, and includes:
- Rospatent Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazettes;
- patent gazettes from foreign countries and international organizations, both special gazettes and also general industrial property gazettes with sections devoted to trademarks;
- databases including trademark information from foreign countries and international organizations.
Collections, both on paper and electronic carriers, are arranged along geographical, systematic and numerical lines.
Information services available to the public (including computerized services and search files contained in libraries remote from your Office and trademark information posted by your Office on the World Wide Web)
In 2009, the trademarks gazettes issued to all countries constituted about 27,100 storage units on paper and users consulted about 16,500 optical disks.
In 2009, users were provided with the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on CD-ROM, of which 24 issues were published during the year. Alongside the Official Gazette on CD-ROM, a paper Gazette was published.
Also in 2009 users were offered sets of information on trademarks for 2005-2008, each on one DVD, and also a retrospective set of information on trademarks for 1991-2004 on one DVD.
In 2009, users were offered the Ninth Edition of the ICGS on CD-ROM and paper.
The search tool for the ICGS was also developed further - in 2009, the periodical Lexicographical Information Gazette of Goods and Services, updating the earlier publication Lexico-Semantic Identifier of the Names of Goods and Services, began to be issued.
All products on optical disks were distributed together with the MIMOSA information search system software which provides searches of bibliographical data, ICGS indexes, verbal elements of a mark and also combinations thereof. Documents found during a search may be consulted and printed in full.
In 2009, the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette was published on the Rospatent Internet site and registers of Russian trademarks, service marks and appellations of origin, trademarks well known in Russia, applications for Russian trademarks and service marks, and international trademarks with the indication Russia, with details of their legal status, continued to be kept.
In addition, users are granted free access to information on applications for the registration of a Russian Federation trademark and service mark with a date of receipt after January 1, 2005.
As part of the experimental operations in 2009 on the Office site, information is displayed on a daily basis concerning current registrations of trademarks, service marks, appellations of origin, well-known trademarks and also notifications of changes made to the State Register of Trademarks, prior to their publication in the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette.
On the basis of official information relating to trademarks, thematic databases are produced according to users' special orders.
Users' work with information search system
Examiners are given the opportunity to work freely with all databases on trademarks, appellations of origin, national trademarks, trademark applications and international trademarks with the indication Russia.
Access for external users to databases, apart from the databases of national trademarks and trademarks applications, is provided by mutual agreement. Searches of the trademarks applications database for external users are currently unavailable.
Organizations of the Federal Customs Service received 18 passwords providing free access to trademark databases.
External users are provided, free of charge, with access to:
- databases containing documents published in the last two Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Gazettes;
- the Trademarks Well Known in Russia database;
- the ICGS database.
Table 5 contains data on the number of database search system inquiries.
The search system provides the opportunity (for examiners) to carry out a search simultaneously of the trademarks, appellations of origin, national trademarks and trademarks applications databases.
Table 6 contains generalized information on the number of database inquiries made by internal and external users.
Search system inquiries (for 2008)
See Table 5
Table 6 contains data on the number of database inquiries for trademarks, appellations of origin, national trademarks, international trademarks and trademarks applications registers.
Register inquiries (for 2008)
See Table 6
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide information on business procedures such as: filing, publication, examination and registration procedures related to trademarks; opposition and appeal procedures related to trademarks; etc.
There is as yet no procedure for the electronic filing of applications, therefore the Office site does not have any web pages for the electronic filing of a trademark application.
The web page addresses on the Office site, which provide information on commercial procedures relating to trademarks etc. include the following:
• Application filing procedure - Rules for compiling, filing and examining an application subsection in the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin section
http://www.fips.ru/npdoc/VEDOM/PR_TZ00.HTM; Forms subsection http://www.fips.ru/ruptoru/trmark.htm; Regulations on fees for the patenting of inventions, utility models, industrial designs, registration of trademarks, service marks and appellations of origin, and grant of the right to use an appellation of origin subsection
• publication procedure – Administrative Regulations on the performance by the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks of the State function relating to the keeping of registers of registered intellectual property subject matter, publication of information on registered intellectual property subject matter, applications filed, and patents and certificates granted therefor, validity, and termination and renewal of validity of legal protection for intellectual property subject matter, transfer of rights in protected subject matter, and official registration of intellectual property subject matter
http://www.fips.ru/ruptoru/adm_reestr.htm; Regulations on official publications of the Federal Service for Intellectual Property, Patents and Trademarks in the Publications section
http://www.fips.ru/izdan/pol.htm; Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
http://www.fips.ru/el_bl/default.htm; http://www.fips.ru/el_bl/tm.htm; Databases section in the Information Search System section
http://www.fips.ru/russite/dbs/dbs.htm; Open Registers section http://www.fips.ru/cdfi/index.htm;
http://www.fips.ru/cdfi/reestr_rutmap.htm; Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin section in the Catalogue of Publications and Databases for 2008 in the Publications section http://www.fips.ru/izdan2008/tz_ofi.htm;
• examination and grant of a document providing protection – in the Normative Documents section, Office acts subsection
• procedure for filing objections and appeals – Patent Disputes Chamber section
URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that provide a description of information products and services offered by the Office (e.g., trademark search service(s) and trademark databases), as well as information on how to access and utilize them
The web page addresses on the Office site, which give information on information products and services supplied by the Office are:
• conducting a search – in the Information Resources section: Services http://www1.fips.ru/wps/wcm/connect/content_ru/ru/inform_resources/article_6/;
Information search system: Databases subsection
http://www1.fips.ru/wps/portal/Registers/ subsections; Trademarks, service marks and appellations of origin subsection in the Electronic Gazettes section
All-Russian Patent Technology Library Division section
• Trademarks database – Databases subsection in the Information Search System section
• Information on access to resources and their use – in the Information Search System section Support
VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of trademark documentation and information
International or regional cooperation in the exchange of trademark information, e.g., in the form of official gazettes
Within the framework of international exchange in 2009, Rospatent sent 52 annual sets to 50 foreign countries of its Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin Official Gazette on optical disks.
The VPTB Division receives trademark information both in the form of special gazettes and also sections of general industrial property gazettes from 49 countries and three international organizations.
In 2009, the following were received on all types of carriers from WIPO, Germany, Japan, Republic of Korea, United States of America and other countries: 1,722 copies of trademark gazettes (including: on paper – 221 copies; on optical disks – 481 copies; and 1,020 copies downloaded from the Internet).
Exchange of machine-readable information
Data are exchanged electronically with WIPO on international trademark registrations using MECA technology. In 2009, decisions were sent electronically to WIPO concerning preliminary and final refusal.
VIII. Matters concerning education and training, including technical assistance to developing countries (please indicate URLs of web pages of the Office’s website wherever appropriate)
Promotional activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, advertising, etc.)
Rospatent holds in Moscow on an annual basis conferences, seminars and round tables with the participation of representatives of international organizations and other States. In 2009, the subjects of 18 conferences and seminars, held in different regions of the Russian Federation, were devoted to the problems of trademark registration.
The main feature of the conferences and round tables held in 2009 was the fact that they were conducted in the context of the entry into force of most of the Administrative Regulations in this sphere of activity. Brief information on the most important of those events is given below.
• As part of the Twelfth Moscow International Exhibition of Industrial Property Archimedes-2009 and the Ninth Moscow International Exhibition of Innovations and Investment, a Best trademark competition was held.
• April 2 – Scientific and practical conference, Legal protection of intellectual property subject matter in the context of the entry into force of Part Four of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation as part of the Twelfth International Exhibition Archimedes-2009, at Sokol’niki.
11 reports by leading Rospatent and FGU FIPS specialists were given.
About 90 people took part in the work of the Conference.
• July 2 – Meeting of the Head of Rospatent, B.P. Simonov, with patent attorneys on the subject of New administrative procedures and the practice of their application, in which about 200 people took part, including about 150 patent attorneys representing the different regions of the Russian Federation and also leading Rospatent and FGU FIPS specialists.
• August 26-29 – Round table as part of the Ninth Moscow International Exhibition of Innovations and Investment on the territory of the All-Russian Exhibition Center (VVTS). Two reports were given by Rospatent.
• October 8-9 – Thirteenth scientific and practical conference of Rospatent, Legal protection of intellectual property subject matter in the context of the entry into force of the Administrative Regulations.
A particular feature of the Conference was that it took place in the context of the entry into force of the Administrative Regulations and that significant attention at the Conference was devoted to strategic issues and future-oriented perspectives.
Representatives of international organizations, patent offices from foreign countries, a number of State bodies, public organizations and associations, the Russian Academy of Sciences, institutions of higher education and scientific research institutes, industrial firms, administrative-management structures, information centers and other organizations from a number of regions, individual foreign organizations, companies and firms, including foreign patent attorneys and legal entities, representatives of legal and commercial organizations, patent attorneys, specialists and interested parties from the Russian Federation, leaders and specialists from the central authorities of Rospatent, FGU FIPS and RGIIS took part in the work of the Conference.
A total of about 300 people took part in the work of the conference, including eight from other foreign countries and 12 from neighboring foreign countries. The number of Russian regions represented was 48.
Training courses for national and foreign participants
In 2009, a study cycle, covering 26 academic hours, was conducted for 27 beginner examiners of the Division for the Examination of Trademark Applications, in accordance with the timetable approved by the Director of FGU FIPS.
Within the framework of the exchange of experience with foreign patent offices:
- a teaching seminar was held for examiners and administrative and managerial staff of FGU FIPS on familiarization with the law-enforcement practice of the United States Patent and Trademark Office. About 30 specialists took part in the seminar;
- a training course was held in the FGU FIPS Division for the Examination of Trademark Applications for an examiner from the Patent Office of the Republic of Korea.
Individual training courses were organized and held at FGU FIPS on special programs for a specialist of the Closed Joint Stock Company Company of Patent Attorneys “PETROPATENT” (St.Petersburg) and three specialists of the Division for the Registration of Symbols of the Department for the Affairs of Non-Commercial Organizations of the Ministry of Justice of the Russian Federation.
Production and pre-diploma practice was given to four students of RGIIS on the basis of the Division for the Examination of Trademark Applications, the Division for the Examination of Form of Trademark Applications and the Division for the Examination of Applications for Appellations of Origin.
IX. Other general information related to the Office that is available on the Internet -- URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that:
provide information on legislation related to trademarks
Web page addresses on the Office site, which:
• provide information on trademark legislation – Normative documents subsection in the Trademarks, Service Marks and Appellations of Origin section;
contain the Annual Report of the Office
Web page addresses on the Office site, which:
• contain the Office Annual Report – Reports and Statistics section
provide open source codes related to trademark information systems
Web page addresses on the Office site, which:
• provide information on open sources relating to trademarks information systems – References section
contain trademark-related news regarding the Office
Web page addresses on the Office site, which:
• сontain Office news relating to trademarks –
Main News section http://www1.fips.ru/wps/wcm/connect/content_ru/ru/,
News section http://www1.fips.ru/wps/wcm/connect/content_ru/ru/news/.