Annual Technical Report 2012 on Trademark Information Activities submitted by Romania (CWS/ATR/TM/2012/RO)
Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.
I. Evolution of registration activities
In 2012 the evolution of registration activities decreased with respect to the previous years (please see the attached table)
II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, and distribution of secondary sources of trademark information, i.e., trademark gazettes
Publishing, printing, copying techniques:
OFFICIAL INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY BULLETIN (BOPI) - section “Trademarks”. It contains: All data concerning registered trademarks, various information on the changes of the legal status of trademarks, lists containing the Romanian industrial property attorneys and other useful information.
RO - TRADEMARKS BULLETIN – monthly publication (PDF format); electronic version of BOPI - Section “Trademarks”
Main types of announcements of the Office in the field of trademark information: Trademarks applications & registrations, changes, renewals, legal contest; decisions of the Law Courts, the registration and renewal certificates are generated automatically.
Mass storage media and microforms used: HDD, Tape storage, CD-ROM, microfilm
Word processing and office automation: Word perfect: WP 11 for current activities, and for issuing the Official Gazette of Industrial Property, Mark section.
Techniques used for the generation of trademark information (printing,
recording, microfilming, photocomposing etc.): Information is distributed through the Official Industrial Property Bulletin of OSIM in following formats:
- Pdf – published in OSIM page: www.osim.ro
- By using other electronic media such as ftp.
III. Matters concerning classifying, reclassifying and indexing of trademark information
Classification and reclassification activities; Classification systems used, e.g., International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks (Nice Classification), International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks (Vienna Classification), other classification (please indicate whether goods and services for the registration of marks and whether the figurative elements of marks are classified by your Office and, if so, which classification(s) is (are) used)
We use only Nice and Vienna International Classifications.
Use of electronic classification systems to check the classification symbols furnished by an applicant and which are contained in the lists of goods and/or services
We have a system of programs: Common Software (CS), version 2.1.8 containing a list of Classes according to Nice Classification and NIVILO.
Obligation for applicants to use pre-defined terms of the classification applied
We do not ask for it.
Bibliographic data and processing
There is QBE for bibliographic data in CS version 2.1.8. and RoTm Register published in INTERNET
IV. Trademark manual search file establishment and upkeep
- File Building: YES.
- Updating: YES
- Storage, including mass storage media and microforms: YES
- Documentation from other offices maintained and/or considered part of the available search file: NO.
V. Activities in the field of computerized trademark search systems
Equipment used (hardware, including the types of terminal and network used, and software), carriers used:
- HP EVA 5000 SAN system with 29 servers in a group
- 300 PCs For trademarks related activities there are used about 60 PCs;
- 40 network printers;
- 8 scanners;
- INTERNET access uses 40 Mb/s metropolitan, 20 Mb/s external radio leased line. The INTERNET Subsystem comprises "www" and e-mail server, database server, proxy server, routers, firewalls.;
- Internal Network: 100 MB optical fiber backbone, NORTEL technology.
- HP Unix (former True 64 DIGITAL Unix) operating system for GS80 server;
- Linux operating system for the Server of the INTERNET/INTRANET database, for the www and e-mail server, for the proxy server;
- Windows 2003 and Windows 2008 server for domain controller servers and application servers
- RDBMS Informix Dynamic Server V.9.4
- Windows 2000 Professional , XP Professional and Windows 7 for client PCs;
- Corel Word Perfect Office for DTP;
- JSP for web based applications
- Common Software application by Hyperscript Tools on client PCs;
- Acrobat Exchanger for conversions into PDF format;
- Microsoft Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox for INTERNET/INTRANET
- Joomla for intranet
VI. Administration of trademark information products and services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, registering trademarks, assisting clients with search procedures, obtaining official publications and registry extracts)
Planning, administration, automation, security
There were conducted audits of the IT security system. The IT Security Manual is now implementing
Collection management, preservation
There is a restoration workshop in OSIM for current works; high-tech works are restore outside of OSIM.
Information services available to the public (including computerized services and search files contained in libraries remote from your Office and trademark information posted by your Office on the World Wide Web)
OSIM offer with his specialized compartment - Documentary Analysis and Synthesis Division - different kinds of information services in the trademark field, meaning identical and truncation searches, figurative trademark searches, legal status, portfolio and competition survey in the trademark field for a trademark or for an owner. The examiners have also participated in many promotion activities organized by Marketing Division and OSIM Legal and Technical Library in the field of trademark.
In 2012 on our website www.osim.ro there was made available free of charge weekly list of filed TM applications, beside the National Register. Also there are provided lists for seniority TM in relation eith comunitary TM, lists of TM about to expire or to lapse. All these are applications developed in-house
International or regional cooperation in the exchange of trademark information, e.g., in the form of official gazettes: OSIM is involved in Cooperation Programs with OHIM. OSIM implemented already TMview, Seniority, TM Class, eLearning, QUALITY STANDARDS, COMMON GATEWAY projects.
We have monthly data exchange in electronic format whit WIPO, where from we get the Madrid applications and all occurred changes are stored in the internal database.
We have daily data exchange, 7/7, 24/24, with OHIM by providing the necessary data for TMView.
VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of trademark documentation and information
Official Industrial Property Bulletin of OSIM is available on CD-ROM and pdf – published on www.osim.ro
VIII. Matters concerning education and training, including technical assistance to developing countries (please indicate URLs of web pages of the Office’s website wherever appropriate)
Promotional activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, advertising, etc.)
- seminars and training in various regions of Romania, in order to take industrial property issues more clear for interested persons. At present, there exist sixteen regional centers in the most important towns
- seminars and conferences in the country;
- participation to fairs across the countries for the entrepreneurial sectors, small and medium enterprises and business to business groups;
- training of company specialists;
- contributing to the perception of the offices as a public service for
the general public, focusing on small and medium enterprises and
supported by advertisments and specific pamphlet and prospectus.
- information dissemination is also carried out thought the system of public libraries from Romania.
IX. Other general information related to the Office that is available on the Internet -- URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that:
X. Other relevant matters