Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Annual Technical Report 2006 on Patent Information Activities submitted by Malaysia (SCIT/ATR/PI/2006/MY)

 

Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.

The term "patent" covers utility models and Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPCs). Offices which issue design patents should report their design patent information activities in their Annual Technical Reports on Industrial Design Information Activities.

 

I. Evolution of patent activities

In 2006, MyIPO recorded an annual reduction of 24% over the 2005 figure (from 6,286 to 4,800) in the total number of patent applications received. The number of local applications increased by 2% (from 522 to 531) compared to 2005 ; whilst the number of foreign applications decreased by 26% (from 5,764 to 4,269). In comparison, the total number of patents granted increased by 6.9% (from 2,508 to 6,749). From the total number of 6,749 patents granted in 2006, only 3% (187) were local patents. The remaining 97% were foreign patents, which increased from 2,471 to 6,562 patents in 2006.

II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, distribution and use of primary and secondary sources of patent information

27,937 ‘first-page’ patents were issued in printed form on all title pages of patent documents. The Official Gazette of the published granted patent is issued bi-monthly in paper form.

The standard content regarding published patent granted are:
- Published granted patent
- Registered utility innovations
- Changes
- Corrections

All the patent applications are laid open for public inspection after 18 months from the priority date.

III. Matters concerning abstracting, classifying, reclassifying and indexing of technical information contained in patent documents

The ‘first-page’ were printed on title pages of all patent documents, in the case of published patent. The Malaysian (MY) patent applications are on-line accessible via search national database on Internet known as PANTAS Online Search System.

Patent and utility innovation documents are classified according to the International Patent Classification (IPC).

IV. Search file establishment and upkeep

The Office received foreign patent documents on CDs or DVDs, and these collections was built and used for the purpose for patent search examination. Every year the Office received these patent documents from the European Patent Office (EPO) under the ECAP programmes.

The following CD-ROM search systems were used -- CASSIS (US), ACCESS (EP), ESPACE (EP), WORLD (WO) and PAJ (JP)

V. Activities in the field of computerized and other mechanized search systems

The search database of MY granted patents, published applications and registered utility innovation information are made accessible via PANTAS Online Search System. Searches on patent documents are also carry out in ESPACE Net via internet.

The Online Search functions has been launched in December 2006. The Online Search services allow the general public to look for information on patents , including the status of their applications, via the internet. On the other hand, the Online Filing services allow the general public to file their patent applications as well as make payment by credit card via the internet.

Essentially, these services provide greater ease for the public to conduct searches or submit applications from any location. They cut loss time and costs involved when compared to the traditional manual method.

VI. Administration of the industrial property office library and information products and services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, for assisting clients on searching procedures, for obtaining official publications and registry extracts)

Consultation assistance for public are given in the public information room.
Search systems on Common Software (CS) and Internet Online Search are provided for the public to carry out patent search at the information room.

Patent documents on CD-ROM and DVD-ROM from EP, WO and US are available for public, on request basis.

VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of patent documentation and information

The national bibliographic data are send to EPO periodically in electronic format for esp@cenet and for production of CD-ROM ASEANPAT. This CD-ROM ASEANPAT were distributed among other patent offices in ASEAN region.

Patent applications filed in paper, and also in electronic form via the Online Filing System which completed in mid-2006.

VIII. Other relevant matters concerning education and training in, and promotion of, the use of patent information, including technical assistance to developing countries (please indicate URLs of web pages of the Office’s website wherever appropriate)

In 2006, various training courses and seminars were organized for the research institutions; universities and representatives of SMEs throughout the nation.

MyIPO presented its information activities and products at the following exhibitions and trade fairs:
- The inaugural National Intellectual Property Day was held from 26 - 30 April 2006.
- ASEAN Workshop on Patent Search and Examination in the Field of Computer Related Inventions
- The Intellectual Property and Innovation Conference 2006
- Intellectual Property Clinic
- Benefits of Patents and the Registration Procedure

WIPO National Seminar On PCT Application was held on November 2006 with regards to PCT enter into force with respect to Malaysia on August 2006.

MyIPO co-operated with regional industrial property offices within ASEAN countries under ECAP programmes in information product dissemination or providing training and education.

IX. Other general information related to the Office that is available on the Internet -- URLs of web pages of the Office’s website that:

X. Other relevant matters

 


1.Classification is allotting one or more classification symbols (e.g., IPC symbols) to a patent application, either before or during search and examination, which symbols are then published with the patent application.

 

2.Preclassification is allotting an initial broad classification symbol (e.g., IPC class or subclass, or administrative unit) to a patent application, using human or automated means for internal administrative purposes (e.g., routing an application to the appropriate examiner).  Usually preclassification is applied by the administration of an office.

 

3.Reclassification is the reconsideration and usually the replacement of one or more previously allotted classification symbols to a patent document, following a revision and the entry into force of a new version of the Classification system (e.g., the IPC).  The new symbols are available on patent databases.