Annual Technical Report 2005 on Trademark Information Activities submitted by Romania (SCIT/ATR/TM/2005/RO)
Where URLs are requested below, it is preferred that either URLs which are likely to remain stable over time (three years or more) are provided, or home (main) page URLs are provided with a short explanation of how to access the corresponding information.
I. Evolution of registration activities
In 2005 the evolution of registration activities increased with respect to the previous years.
Trademarkregistrationapplications - data table
II. Matters concerning the generation, reproduction, and distribution of secondary sources of trademark information, i.e., trademark gazettes
OFFICIAL INDUSTRIAL PROPERTY BULLETIN (BOPI) - section “Trademarks”. It contains: All data concerning registered trademarks, various information on the changes of the legal status of trademarks, lists containing the Romanian industrial property attorneys and other useful information.
RO - TRADEMARKS BULLETIN – monthly publication (PDF format); electronic version of BOPI - Section “Trademarks”
- TRACES - a disk which comprises all the data on the registered trademarks of Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia. One can develope complex searches based on various criteria: applicant, designation, class, key word of the classes of products or services, etc.
Main types of announcements of the Office in the field of trademark information: Trademarks applications & registrations, changes, renewals, legal contest; decisions of the Law Courts, the registration and renewal certificates are generated automatically.
Mass storage media and microforms used: Tape storage and CD-ROM
Word processing and office automation: Word perfect: WP 11 for current activities, and for issuing the Official Gazette of Industrial Property, Mark section.
Techniques used for the generation of trademark information (printing,
recording, microfilming, photocomposing etc.): printing of Official Bulletin Section “Trademarks” is done in-house using WPS as word processor and information is recorded also in PDF format. The documents in the Common Software are generated automatically in 2005.
III. Matters concerning classifying, reclassifying and indexing of trademark information
Classification and reclassification activities; Classification systems used, e.g., International Classification of Goods and Services for the Purposes of the Registration of Marks (Nice Classification), International Classification of the Figurative Elements of Marks (Vienna Classification), other classification (please indicate whether goods and services for the registration of marks and whether the figurative elements of marks are classified by your Office and, if so, which classification(s) is (are) used)
We use only Nice and Vienna International Classifications.
Use of electronic classification systems to check the classification symbols furnished by an applicant and which are contained in the lists of goods and/or services
We have a system of programs: Common Software (CS), version 2.1.8 containing a list of Classes according to Nice Classification and NIVILO CD-ROM.
Obligation for applicants to use pre-defined terms of the classification applied
We do not ask for it.
Bibliographic data and processing for search purposes
There is QBE for bibliographic data in CS version 2.1.8. and RoTmSearch.
IV. Trademark manual search file establishment and upkeep
Storage, including mass storage media
Documentation from other offices maintained and/or considered part of the available search file
V. Activities in the field of computerized trademark search systems
In-house systems (online/offline)
YES (Data base, Common Software)
YES (ROMARIN; WIPO Database through
INTERNET: U.S. OFFICE Database, OFDVII Database, TRACES CD-ROM,
Administrative management systems (e.g., register, legal status, statistics, administrative support, etc.)
There is a Statistics Chapter in CS v. 2.1.8, as well as WUC statistics.
Equipment used (hardware, including the types of terminal and network used, and software), carriers used
SAN system with various server.
- S AN system with 7 servers in a group
- 300 PCs (220 Pentium IV, 80 PIII and PII). For trademarks related activities there are used about 50 PCs;
- 40 network printers;
- 8 scanners;
- 8 Juke-boxes: one JVC-type and seven NSM, each having a capacity of 600 disks, provided with DVD and CDROM readers, connected with the internal network by 4 servers;
- INTERNET Subsystem uses 10 Mb/s metropolitan, 4Mb/s external radio leased line. The INTERNET Subsystem comprises "www" and e-mail server, database server, proxy server, routers, firewalls.;
- Internal Network: 100 MB optical fiber backbone, NORTEL technology.
- HP Unix (former True 64 DIGITAL Unix) operating system for GS80 server;
- Linux operating system for the Server of the INTERNET/INTRANET database, for the www and e- mail server, for the proxy server;
- Windows 2003 server for domain controller servers
- RDBMS Informix Dynamic Server V.9.4
- Windows 2000 Professional for client PCs;
- Corel Word Perfect Office for DTP;
- Common Software application by Hyperscript Tools on client PCs;
- Acrobat Exchanger for conversions into PDF format;
- Netscape v.6 and Microsoft Internet Explorer for INTERNET/INTRANET;
VI. Administration of trademark services available to the public (relating to facilities, e.g., for lodging applications, registering trademarks, assisting clients with search procedures, obtaining official publications and registry extracts)
Planning, administration, automation, security
Collection management, preservation
We have a preservation
workshop for restoring old documents, worn out.
Information services available to the public (including computerized services and search files contained in libraries remote from your Office and trademark information posted by your Office on the World Wide Web)
The services are provided by the Documentary Search and Synthesis Division.
VII. Matters concerning mutual exchange of trademark documentation and information
International or regional cooperation in the exchange of trademark information, e.g., in the form of official gazettes
on CD-ROM using TRACES and on paper, our official gazette (BOPI - Section “TRADEMARKS”).We also receive information on US PTO and OHIM containing pending applications and registered trademarks.
Exchange of machine-readable information
TRACES project for creating the Common CD-ROM for the following countries: Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Slovakia
VIII. Matters concerning education and training including technical assistance to developing countries
Promotional activities (seminars, exhibitions, visits, advertising, etc.)
- seminars and training in various regions of Romania, in order to take industrial property issues more clear for interested persons. At present, there exist fourteen regional centers in the most important towns (Brasov, Constanta, Bacau, Oradea, Baia-Mare, Craiova, Bistrita-Nasaud, Braila, Timisoara, Suceava, lasi, Covasna, Galati, Targu Mures).
- seminars and conferences in the country;
- participation to fairs across the countries for the entrepreneurial sectors, small and medium enterprises and business to business groups;
-training of company specialists;
-contributing to the perception of the offices as a public service for
the general public, focusing on small and medium enterprises and
supported by advertisments and specific pamphlet and prospectus.
- information dissemination is also carried out thought the system of public libraries from Romania.
IX. Other relevant matters