Annual Technical Report on Patent Information Activities in 2018 submitted by the MINISTRY OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT AND TRADE OF UKRAINE
I. GENERAL OVERVIEW OF RECENT DEVELOPMENTS IN PATENT INFORMATION ACTIVITIES CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Outline of main policies and plans aimed at development of patent information activities and expected time frames for their realization
The main document determining the directions for the development of patent information activities in 2018 was the Plan of activities of the State Enterprise "Ukrainian Intellectual Property Institute" (Ukrpatent) which contained strategic directions "Patent information support in the intellectual property sphere, provision of wide public with access to the information related to intellectual property rights acquisition" and "Implementation of the modern information technology", which in particular envisage:
- comprehensive development of the main directions of information support in the intellectual property sphere;
- improvement of information support of the procedure of examination for industrial property rights (IPR) applications with regard to forming the electronic information resources of Ukrpatent for examination purposes, providing access to the foreign commercial Internet resources which contain PCT Minimum Documentation;
- implementation of the new version of the International Patent Classification in translation into Ukrainian, creating an information and reference system (IRS) freely accessible to the public via the website of Ukrpatent;
- unification of the patent documentation international exchange procedure carried out with the purpose of acquisition of information resources of the state system of intellectual property legal protection, with due account of the trends of transition of the intellectual property offices in many countries to the presentation of patent information over the Internet only;
- implementation of series of actions aimed at ensuring the continued free-of-charge acquisition of patent information resources of Ukraine with the current national patent documentation on electronic carriers;
- participation in the activities on unification and harmonization of the patent documentation of Ukraine with due account of the world experience and in accordance with the international standards of the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) and the current legislation of Ukraine.
- further development of the technological automated systems for record keeping on pending applications and technical administration of the state registers of titles for industrial property rights;
- development and implementation of freely accessible information resources for a wide range of public;
- development of the IT infrastructure.
- improving security of the information infrastructure.
New projects launched or resumed this year in the context of the policies and plans mentioned above, short description: aims, partners, tasks
According to the planned tasks, the following projects were started in 2018:
1. Creation of a specialized information and retrieval system (SIRS) to provide unified access of the Ukrpatent examiners to certain internal and external information sources.
The SIRS is intended to provide highly effective automated implementation of patent information searches by the Ukrpatent examiners in the process of examination of applications for inventions and/or utility models and determination of patentability of invention (novelty, inventive step, industrial suitability).
The SIRS is implemented in the composition of: the application server, the database server, the storage for patent and non-patent literature collections and software.
The client software (thin-client) is implemented by standard browsers.
Patent document collections consist of:
- the file storage of national patent documents (files in XML format);
- the file storage of foreign patent document collections (patent collections received by Ukrpatent on electronic carriers or by electronic channels in the framework of international exchange);
- the file storage of patent-related literature collections (files in PDF, DJVU, DOC, DOCX, HTML formats).
2. Reengineering of the storage, retrieval and data processing.
Significance of the reengineering project is due to the necessity of providing persistently high parameters of automated systems efficiency in the conditions of constantly increasing volumes of data.
The goal was achieved by:
- application of the two-level method of data storage (current database and archival part);
- design and development of the database table indexes, which increases the speed of requests execution and reduces the cost of the server resources.
Two-level method of data storage ensured decrease in the number of entries in the tables of current database. This has led to increase of the queries execution speed and decrease of the server computing resources necessary to perform queries.
To check expediency and accuracy of such measures, a test procedure was developed that emulates the work of server part of the technological system in the new two-level structure of data storage. Comparison results of queries execution and server procedures in the current and test databases showed that these decisions in the framework of reengineering decrease (in some tests - by ten folds) the use of server resources and increase the efficiency of the system respectively.
3. Operational development of the General Document Management Automated System (GEMDAS) in accordance with new regulatory acts and in order to expand its service functions.
This project envisages a deep modernization of the Ukrpatent electronic document management system during which the integration at the external and internal levels will be resolved:
- with the System of Electronic Interaction of the Executive Authorities;
- with the automated systems for industrial property rights, including the Inventions Automated System.
The procedures of electronic documents exchange will provide unique identification of these systems users and electronic documents migration between systems in an automatic mode.
Also, within the framework of the project, development of the following is envisaged:
- additional search system components which provide a simplified search mode;
- new conception of data representation in the information objects dossier;
- components of forming the registration and control card of the electronic document in accordance with the requirements of the Order of the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine No. 1886/5 dated November 11, 2014 "On Approval of the Procedure of Work with Electronic Documents within the Document Management and their Preparation for Transmission to Archival Storage";
- simplified versions of the information objects editors;
- means of informing the external subjects of the Ukrpatent electronic document management as to the status and actions on the document management objects;
- means of preparation and use of the electronic document templates;
- additional functions of the document management control module.
The development is designed to increase the speed of access to the files of documents and to work with the search and the use of the electronic documents in the collection.
4. Creation of a customer online account for services provided by Ukrpatent.
The customer online account for services provided by Ukrpatent is designed for ordering services through the Internet, paying for services through the Internet, transfer of orders from the personal account to the specialists of Ukrpatent, etc.
The customer online account for services provided by Ukrpatent is created to simplify and increase efficiency of the procedures related to the acquisition, implementation and protection of intellectual property rights.
5. Development of the improved unified mechanism for prompt performance of the current updating procedures of the Ukrpatent interactive databases available through the Internet.
The aim of the development of the improved unified mechanism for prompt performance of current (hourly) updating procedures of the Ukrpatent interactive databases available through the Internet is to increase the level of actualization, efficiency and completeness of the publication of information on the current status of documents in the interactive databases, as well as in information and reference systems, published on the Ukrpatent website.
Realization of this project ensured publication of information on any IPR type in the real-time mode, and an open and authorized access (through a qualified electronic signature) is provided to a certain part of the electronic dossier of an IPR by means of the information retrieval system.
6. Creation of the Ukrpatent Special Information System (SIS).
The purpose of creating the SIS is to provide access to information resources published pursuant to requirements of the national legislation. This is a search engine that has a universal search interface. With the help of the SIS, through one query one can perform a search within published applications and state registrations of all IPR types.
The use of new technologies to implement a search engine will significantly reduce the time of information retrieval.
Main areas of patent information activities and related information and communication technology (ICT) practices which were in the focus of attention last year
The main types of patent information activities in the field of inventions (utility models) include information support of examination of applications for inventions (utility models), including creation of search databases for internal use in the examination body, publication of information about applications and granted patents in the official bulletin, operation support of the existing interactive databases and information and reference systems and creation of new ones for information servicing of a wide range of users via the Internet. Information on inventions (utility models) is also published on optical carriers.
Applications for inventions (utility models) are processed by means of the Inventions AS which has full functionality of text processing and record keeping at all stages, from application filing to completing examination and maintenance of the State Register of Patents of Ukraine for Inventions and the State Register of Patents of Ukraine for Utility Models.
An automated workplace of the Editorial Department is used to form the information arrays which are included to the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property".
The practical application of information and communication technologies ensured the improvement of patent information activities efficiency, in particular in the following areas:
- carrying out scientific and technical examination of applications;
- technical administration of the State Register of Patents for Inventions and Utility Models;
- carrying out patent information searches;
- providing a range of patent information services to the wide public.
Statistics: changes in terms of application filings and grants with respect to previous year; trends or areas experiencing rapid changes
in 2017 – 4,049, in 2018 – 3,968, i.e. 2.0 % decrease with respect to the previous year.
in 2017 – 2,590, in 2018 – 2,469, i.e. 4.7 % decrease with respect to the previous year.
From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018 within the framework of experimental tests of the electronic filing system, 596 applications for inventions were received (56.54 % more than in the previous year, 15.0% of the total number of the applications for inventions).
In 2018, in comparison with the previous year, the following areas experienced rapid changes: Other special machines (+13.9 %), Medical equipment (+16.9 %), Biotechnology (+16.8 %), Food chemistry (+10.0 %), Measuring (+15.0 %), Other consumer goods (+30.0 %), Methods of surface treatment, coatings (+44.4 %), Materials, metallurgy (-20.8 %), Manipulation, transportation, cargo operations (-27.9 %), Metal-cutting machine tools (-18.5 %), Computer technology (-31.1 %).
in 2017 – 9,112, in 2018 – 9,120, i.e. 0.9 % increase with respect to the previous year.
in 2017 – 9,442, in 2018 – 8,620, i.e. 8.7 % decrease with respect to the previous year.
From January 1, 2018 to December 31, 2018 within the framework of experimental tests of electronic filing system, 484 applications for utility models were received (43.62 % increase with respect to the 2017 year, 5.3 % of the total number of the applications for utility models).
In 2018, in comparison with the previous year, the following areas experienced rapid changes: Food chemistry (+8.5 %), Control (+12.7 %), Chemical raw materials (11.0 %), Ecotechnology (12.9 %), Organic fine chemicals (+22.2 %), Audio-video equipment (+85.7 %), Transport (-7.4 %), Materials, metallurgy (-7.4 %) and Manipulation, transportation, cargo operations (-27.4 %).
Other matters and useful links (URLs): annual report of the Office, news page, statistics, etc.
Annual Reports, Annual Technical Reports on Patent Information Activities, statistics of the Office:
News of the Office on the issues related to patents:
http://www.me.gov.ua/ (Intellectual Property section)
Information on the patent legislation:
http://www.me.gov.ua/ (Intellectual Property section)
Information on the intellectual property representatives (Patent Attorneys) providing services in the sphere of intellectual property rights protection:
http://www.me.gov.ua/ (Intellectual Property section)
Since 2017, an integrated patent information resource the Open Datasets of the Ministry of Economic development and Trade of Ukraine has been in operation for searching in the data sets of the state registers of industrial property rights and the State Register of Intellectual Property Representatives (Patent Attorneys). This resource is accessible at http://opendata.uipv.org.
II. SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES RELATED TO PATENT INFORMATION CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Information and support provided by the Office to applicants regarding filing on paper and/or e-filing (instructions, seminars, etc.) - URLs
Information for the users on the procedures and sources of data on inventions and utility models, in particular information on the legislation in the sphere of inventions and utility models, services and activities of the Office related to information in this sphere, statistics, etc. is published on the websites of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine (http://www.me.gov.ua/) and Ukrpatent (https://ukrpatent.org/).
Data on information services, including the paid ones, provided by Ukrpatent, in particular by its Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion, is published on the websites of Ukrpatent and the mentioned Department (http://iii.ua).
Information for applicants on filing applications for inventions and utility models is available on the websites of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine (http://www.me.gov.ua/) and Ukrpatent (https://ukrpatent.org/).
Electronic applications may be filed through the Electronic Applications Filing System (EAFS-1). The applicant's personal account was implemented in the system providing access to all documents generated in the process of interaction between the examination body and applicants during processing of patent applications.
Electronic applications filing and electronic exchange between the examination body and applicants may also be carried out by means of the Electronic Interaction System (EIS).
Advisal on the work with systems, rules of drafting an application, user manuals and regulatory documents are available on the Ukrpatent website at:
Electronic documents are signed with a qualified electronic signature. Information on how to get an electronic digital signature (qualified electronic signature) is available on the Ukrpatent website in the "Receiving Electronic Trust Services" section.
Information on how to get an electronic digital signature (receipt of electronic trust services) is available on the Ukrpatent website at: https://ukrpatent.org/i_upload/file/Poriadok-nadannia-poslug-ECP-2017--.pdf.
Access to the on-line publications containing information on inventions and utility models is provided through the websites of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine (http://www.me.gov.ua/) and Ukrpatent (http://ukrpatent.org/uk)
Availability of the application dossier in electronic form
All application materials (both primary and secondary) for inventions and utility models, irrespective of the way they are filed to Ukrpatent (through the electronic filing system, on paper carriers, by email, fax or other telecommunication networks), automatically and after scanning paper carriers are entered and stored in the electronic archive of documents. In order to use application materials during the processing of applications, the integration of technological automated systems with the electronic document archive has been implemented.
Classification1, preclassification2 (if applicable), reclassification3 activities; classification systems used (e.g., International Patent Classification (IPC)); matters concerning indexing of patent information
In 2018, IPC 2018.01 translated into Ukrainian and introduced by the corresponding order of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine was used for classifying patent documents of Ukraine.
Within the Inventions AS the software system for checking classification symbols is operative. It includes classification guides and specialized software for checking the allotted classification symbols and reclassifying.
In 2018 the whole retrospective file of national patent documents was reclassified according to IPC 2018.01.
The Ukrainian-language 2018 version of the Guide to the IPC was formed and placed in the information and reference system (IRS) for IPC 2018.01.
During the second half of 2018 a set of works was undertaken necessary to ensure the implementation of IPC 2019.01 translated into Ukrainian in the state system of intellectual legal protection as of January 1, 2019, in particular, a respective IRS was created.
Abstracting, reviewing, and translation of the information contained in patent documents
Abstracts and bibliographic data are formed routinely in the Ukrainian language for publication in the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" and on the Internet in the specialized database "Inventions (Utility Models) in Ukraine".
III. SOURCES OF PATENT INFORMATION PROVIDED BY THE OFFICE
Main types of publications of the Office (patent applications, full text, first pages, abstracts, bibliographic data, granted patents, etc.), medium (on paper, on CDs, online - URLs)
Information of the Office concerning inventions (utility models) is provided by publication in printed sources of the intellectual property legal protection sphere, patent information products on optical carriers, free electronic databases (DB) and information and reference systems (IRS):
- the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" – a printed periodical edition;
- the electronic edition of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" – the analogue of a printed edition of the official bulletin;
- the electronic edition of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" (on CD-ROM with an integrated search system) – the analogue of a printed edition
- the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine"– electronic edition of specifications to patents of Ukraine for inventions (utility models);
- DB "Electronic Version of the Cumulative Official Bulletin ’Industrial Property’" – information concerning inventions and utility models in the same scope as in a printed edition. Moreover, information concerning legal status of patents (as an extra operational element) is provided in the sections "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Inventions", "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Utility Models";
- Specialized DB "Inventions (Utility Models) in Ukraine" contains the following data for each patent: bibliographic data, claims, abstracts patent specification and legal status information;
- IRS "International Patent Classification" – through this link the current version of the IPC in the Ukrainian translation and all the previous versions that ceased to be in force are available.
Information concerning inventions and utility models is published in Book 1 of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" in the following sections: "Information on Invention Applications Accepted for Examination", "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Inventions", "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Utility Models", in the Indexes to each section and in the Notices section.
Publications of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" contain:
- for section "Information on Invention Applications Accepted for Examination" – bibliographic data;
- for sections "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Inventions", "Information on the Grant of Patents of Ukraine for Utility Models" – bibliographic data and claims.
The Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" was issued twice a month – 24 issues of the bulletin were issued during 2018. The Annual Index to the Official Bulletin for the previous, 2017, year was also published.
Ukrainian patent (utility model) specifications on electronic carrier – the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" – were issued with the same frequency.
Official Gazettes: main types of announcements, frequency of publication, medium (on paper, on CDs, online - URL), etc.
In the Notices section of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" (printed and electronic edition) with the periodicity of its release, announcements in respect of registered patents for inventions (utility models) (to the extent provided by the respective applicable Law of Ukraine) are published which include the information:
- on renewal of patents of Ukraine for inventions, the object of which is a drug, animals protection agent, plant protection agent, the use of which requires approval of a competent authority; changes in the information entered into the State Register of Patents of Ukraine for Inventions, information on the issue of patent duplicates, information on correction of obvious errors in specifications to patents of Ukraine for inventions, modifications due to the correction of errors and other information relating to registration of patents of Ukraine for inventions;
- changes in the information entered into the State Register of Patents of Ukraine for Utility Models, information on the issue of patent duplicates, information about correction of obvious errors in the specifications to patents of Ukraine for utility models, modifications due to the correction of errors and other information relating to the registration of patents of Ukraine for utility models.
Information products and patent document collections (coverage, medium, etc.) available to examiners, including external collections and databases
Ukrpatent’s search collection (Patent Information Base – PIB) is an electronic information resource composed in accordance with the approved PIB content and intended for carrying out patent information searches for determining the state of the art in the course of substantive examination of patent applications which has been in operation since July 1, 1997.
The PIB contains the national and foreign patent collections, primarily of international and regional intellectual property organizations (WIPO, the EPO and the EAPO), patent documents issued by the leading Offices falling within the PCT Minimum Documentation. The documentation available in the electronic search collection has sufficiently deep retrospective and is constantly updated by current acquisitions of foreign patent documentation.
The search collection of the national patent documentation used in the local mode includes Inventions AS database (bibliographic data) and the Central Electronic Document Archive (CEDA).
Updating of the PIB was implemented by current acquisitions of patent documentation, in particular:
- updating of the Inventions AS database and the CEDA was implemented routinely by scanning incoming documents, converting them into electronic format and loading to the appropriate databases available on the web-site of Ukrpatent;
- electronic documents filed through the electronic application filing system were loaded to the databases in automatic mode;
- foreign patent documents received by Ukrpatent in the framework of international exchange (on optical carriers or through corresponding FTP-servers), were loaded into the electronic database of the Search Portal.
Over the course of 2018, the Examination Reference and Information Collection was stocked with encyclopedias, reference books (including on electronic carriers), legal and instructional and methodological literature, periodicals as well as the national patent documentation – current publications of the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" on CD-ROM and the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine". The formation of electronic reference and search tool and a full-text non-patent literature DB of the Search Portal was provided.
The following resources were also used in 2018 as a search collection of non-patent literature, in addition to foreign commercial databases (the list is provided below):
- collections (including electronic) of 89 largest national and specialized libraries of Ukraine;
- collections of foreign countries' libraries (in the electronic delivery of documents);
- free national and foreign Internet resources, in particular, electronic digital libraries.
In 2018, as in the previous years, the activities on providing access for Ukrpatent examiners to the defined foreign commercial information resources which contain the PCT Minimum Documentation and the use of which is a prerequisite of quality patent search were given particular emphasis in the context of Ukrpatent’s functioning as ISA/IPEA. The significance and relevance of this task will remain in place, as in October 2017 the Agreement was signed between the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and the International Bureau of the World Intellectual Property Organization in relation to the functioning of the State Enterprise "Ukrainian Intellectual Property Institute" as an International Searching Authority and International Preliminary Examining Authority under the Patent Cooperation Treaty, entering into force on January 1, 2018, and remaining in force until December 31, 2027.
In order to provide effective and high-quality search in the course of patent applications examination, 10 foreign commercial information Internet resources were used in 2018 as a search collection which, under respective agreements, provided access to the PCT Minimum Documentation (patent documentation and non-patent literature). These include the following databases: the EPO EPOQUE Net system; STN Files, Features and Services; REAXYS database; Derwent World Patent Index database; ScienceDirect ArticleChoice service; Access to Research for Development and Innovation (ARDI) program by WIPO; products of the American Chemical Society (ACS); IEEE Xplore digital library; electronic products of Wiley Online Library, Reaxys Medicinal Chemistry database.
Also, with due account of the examination needs, subscription to a new commercial information resource was executed at the end of 2018 – the ELSEVIER B.V. EMBASE database (the Netherlands), which is the world’s largest abstract database of journal publications and theses of the conferences in the field of biomedicine.
The EPO EPOQUE Net system remained the main search tool among foreign commercial Internet resources as it provided access of examiners to the patent documentation of the PCT Minimum Documentation to the full extent. The agreement on the granting of access for Ukrpatent’s examiners to EPOQUE Net, concluded with the EPO in 2017, is in force until December 31, 2020.
Information products and patent document collections (coverage, medium, etc.) available to external users, conditions of access (e.g., free of charge, subscription, etc.)
For information support of the wide range of public, free access to the information concerning patents is provided through the websites of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and Ukrpatent – see the list of databases and information and reference systems above.
Information on registered patents for inventions and utility models is available in the form of open data at http://opendata.uipv.org.
Annual Reports of the Office, Annual Technical Reports of the Office on Patent Information Activities which Ukrpatent prepares for WIPO, the quarterly statistical review "Industrial Property in Figures. Performance Indicators of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and the State Enterprise 'Ukrainian Intellectual Property Institute'" (the Internet publication "Industrial Property in Figures") are also accessible for free on the Ukrpatent website.
External users could also purchase the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" on CD-ROM equipped with a search system and the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine".
The Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" on CD-ROM and the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" were distributed for free in the framework of updating patent collections of a certain organizations of Ukraine by the national patent documentation according to the Registries of free-of-charge distribution approved by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade.
See also Part 1 of Section 5 concerning the PPDC.
The List of Addresses of Foreign Databases Accessible Free of Charge on the Internet and the List of Scientific and Technical Databases and Reference Resources Accessible Free of Charge are also placed and quarterly updated on the website of Ukrpatent.
Legal status information (kind of information, coverage, medium, etc.)
Information concerning the legal status of the registered patents of Ukraine for inventions (utility models) to the extent prescribed by the applicable law of Ukraine is published in the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" in the Notices section both on paper and in electronic form (the CD-ROM "Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" and the DB "Electronic Version of the Cumulative Official Bulletin "Industrial Property").
In addition, such information is provided in the IRS "Information on Patents of Ukraine for Inventions (Utility Models) Deemed to be Invalid or Expired" and (as an extra operational component) in the relevant sections of the DB "Electronic Version of the Cumulative Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" and in the specialized DB "Inventions (Utility Models) in Ukraine".
IV. ICT SUPPORT TO SERVICES AND ACTIVITIES RELATED TO PATENT INFORMATION CARRIED OUT BY THE OFFICE
Specific software tools supporting business procedures within the Office: general description, characteristics, advantages, possible improvements
The specific software tool that ensured main type of activity related to the patent information is the Inventions Automated System (Inventions AS).
The Inventions AS ensures automation of the processes for record-keeping of the applications for inventions, utility models and topographies of integrated circuits, as well as for the registration and maintenance the validity of these titles of protection.
The Inventions AS consists of the specialized software and databases. The functionality of the Invention AS covers all the stages of life cycle of applications for inventions, utility models and topographies of integrated circuits:
- filing of application;
- registration of application;
- formal and qualified examination of application;
- registration of titles of protection;
- publication in the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property";
- keeping titles of protection valid;
- maintenance of the State Registers of patents for inventions, utility models and topographies of integrated circuits;
- maintenance of the license and rights transfer agreements register;
- providing references, statistics data etc.
The Inventions AS has a divided structure with automated workplaces and common interface access to all the functions, ensures a complete electronic document management of input, output and internal documents with the use of a bar code technology.
The Inventions AS is integrated with technological automated systems (AS) of Ukrpatent, namely:
- operating storage of documents (central electronic archive of documents);
- Accounting of Payments AS;
- Search Portal;
- Management of the National Version of IPC AS;
- Output Documents AS;
- General Document Management AS;
- Electronic Applications Filing System;
- Internet databases and information and reference systems.
Hardware used to supporting business processes of the Office
The server part is based on Hewlett-Packard (HP) server x86 platforms (DL380Gen10, DL380Gen8, DL380G7, DL380G5, DL360 Gen8).
Information storage models are HP (3Par StoreServ 7200, MSA2050, MSA2040, P2000, MSA2324fc).
The Storage Area Network (SAN) is based on the HP SN3000B, HP SAN Switch 8/24.
The general network infrastructure is based on:
- Check Point 5600 NGTP device which contains the VPN and Firewall modules for Internet connection and provides control of access to the Internet sites and security of the Ukrpatent IT infrastructure from complex threats and harmful attacks (botnets, targeted attacks, APT attacks and zero day attacks);
- Barracuda Spam & Virus FireWall for mail server protection.
- internal router (designed on the Unix server) to support the Ukrpatent local computer network.
The local computer network includes the set of HP Aruba 2930M, HP Procurve 2910al-24G, HP 2530-48, HP 2510-48 switches and is divided into sixteen virtual networks (Vlan).
The server infrastructure is completely virtualized. The Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016 and VMware ESXi operating system is used on physical servers which allow to create and operate the productive virtual servers. The servers of virtualization are grouped into Hyper-V clusters which allow to organize high availability of the productive servers with the Microsoft Windows Server 2016, Microsoft Windows Server 2012R2, Microsoft Windows Server 2012, Microsoft Windows Server 2008R2 and CentOS 7 operating systems.
The MS SQL Server 2016, MS SQL Server 2014, MS SQL 2008R2, MS SQL 2005, PostgreSQL, MySQL are used as the databases management systems.
Domain structure of the Active Directory (AD) is designed to allow the centralized management of all formation resources, including users, computers, files, peripheral devices, access to the services, network resources, web-sites, databases, etc.
Multiple domain controllers are used to organize the fault-tolerant domain structure.
The WSUS server provides updating of the servers and client's computers operating systems.
The ESET anti-virus server provides centralized control of all anti-virus programs on the user computers, anti-virus databases updates, report generation on database updates and existing threats.
The Microsoft software product – System Center Data Protection Manager (DPM), which ensures continuous data protection for reliable recovery of Windows servers, is used for data backup. The plan of upgrading all servers and services after a failure was adjusted.
Other Microsoft System Center 2012R2 products, namely Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM) is also used for virtualization management.
The activities on the IT infrastructure development, carried out qver the reporting period, were aimed at building the fail-safe core of the computer network, increasing its bandwidth, security and manageability, replacing the obsolete components of a hardware part of infrastructure, consolidation and virtualization of the servers. The servers of virtualization are integrated into clusters, which ensure high availability of all systems.
In total, the corporate network consists of 650 personal computers, 25 physical and 60 virtual servers, 10 storages of information and various switching equipment.
For the information systems users the Internet connection is provided to search and browse information.
Internal databases: coverage, updates, interlinks with external sources
To ensure business processes, the following databases are used in Ukrpatent:
- the CEDA database which provides storage of documents and their attributes in electronic form;
- the Inventions AS technological database which ensures performing the procedures of the examination record-keeping and maintenance of the State Register of Patents for Inventions and Utility Models. The database contains the whole range of information on applications and patents for inventions (utility models) from the moment of founding the Patent Office of Ukraine (1993). The data are updated on an ongoing basis in line with the process of filing new applications, carrying out record-keeping on the procedures of application examination and keeping patents in force;
- special database for ensuring the functions of electronic filing of applications for inventions and utility models;
- the Search Portal database which provides possibility for experts to carry out searches in multiple collections of patent and non-patent literature.
Some of these databases have external connections with remote information sources. For example, the technological database has an indirect connection with the International Bureau of WIPO via PCT-EDI system.
Establishment and maintenance of electronic search file: file building, updating, storage, documents from other offices included in the search file
The electronic search collection is located on the internal information resource called the Search Portal. This resource was created to enable access and search patent documentation and non-patent information sources in the process of patent application examination. The data at the Portal are updated regularly once current patent documentation updates are made available by foreign patent offices on optical carriers or uploaded from corresponding ftp-servers.
In 2018, in the framework of international exchange of patent documentation, Ukrpatent continued to receive optical discs with patent documents from foreign patent offices. Loading of data from 336 optical carriers to the active information storage and its accessibility for search through the Search Portal was provided.
Administrative management electronic systems (register, legal status, statistics, and administrative support)
The functions of the administrative management are implemented in the environment of the Inventions AS by separate software subsystems and software modules.
Thus, to maintain the registers and legal status of titles of protection for inventions and utility models, a multifunction subsystem is operative within the Inventions AS. The information from this system is forwarded to relevant databases for publication and for drawing statistic reports.
The Indicators statistical subsystem is characterized by the capability to form multiple reports and implementation of a mechanism of calculation of indicators by objects giving multiple details, namely:
- indicators for filing of applications by "IPC" and "applicants" requisites;
- indicators for registration of titles of protection by "IPC" and "patentees" requisites.
The subsystem provides for the possibility to extend the list of indicators. The function of automated analysis of calculated data and prediction is implemented. The possibility is foreseen to enter into the base of the Indicators subsystem of the data on main economic indicators of the country’s development and other external factors directly influencing the state of inventive activity of applicants.
V. PROMOTION ACTIVITIES AIMED TO SUPPORT USERS IN ACCESS AND EFFICIENT USE OF PATENT INFORMATION
Patent library: equipment, collection management, network of patent libraries in the country, cooperation with foreign patent libraries
In order to satisfy public needs for patent information in Ukraine, which is necessary for study and analysis in the process of creation, legal protection and use of IPR's, the Public Patent Documentation Collection (PPDC) functions within the structure of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion. The PPDC is the most comprehensive patent library in Ukraine available to the public (intellectual property office library).
International exchange with foreign patent offices has long been the main source of foreign patent documentation. Such international cooperation allowed accumulating in the state system of intellectual property rights protection a considerable amount of current and retrospective foreign patent documentation, in particular official bulletins of many countries. The PPDC also contains methodological, reference and informational and periodical materials.
Current updating of the PPDC by national and foreign patent documentation on optical discs continued during 2018. In 2018 the PPDC was updated by nearly 440 optical discs with current national and foreign patent documentation. As of December 31, 2018, the PPDC collection of optical discs constitutes nearly 34 thousand items.
Free access to the PPDC materials for users to work in the reading room was provided. The work of the customers with the collections of patent documentation available in the PPDC on optical carriers in foreign languages was carried out jointly with the consultants of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent.
In 2018 the PPDC was attended by 252 users, 8% of which were legal entities and 92% – individuals.
Information concerning the contents of the PPDC and its quarterly updating was published in the Patent Information Files section on the websites of Ukrpatent (https://ukrpatent.org/uk) and its Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent (http://iii.ua).
Throughout 2018 proper storage conditions for the PPDC documents were ensured which correspond to respective requirements and guarantee the documents’ safety.
The PPDC is located on the premises of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent in the three specially adapted and equipped areas (two depositories with the total area of 81 sq. m. and a reading room of 40 sq. m.). The PPDC is equipped with 10 up-to-date computers with appropriate licensed software, as well as scanners, printers and xerographic copying machines.
To enable users to make online access to the electronic patent-information resources, such as the Digital Patent Library, the Internet access based on Wi-Fi technology was provided in addition to the traditional Internet access for users’ convenience.
Consultations were provided free-of-charge concerning optimal ways to carry out information search, qualified drawing up of retrieval schedule, search on CD-ROMs and in the free databases of patent documentation via the Internet and consultations on the most common issues: concerning the detection of the subject matter of invention or utility model in the materials presented by the applicant, acquisition of IPRs, detection and discontinuation of unlawful use of IPRs.
A total of 231 consultations were provided concerning verification of correctness of drawing up of application materials, including 48 for patents for inventions/utility models.
Consultations on the most common issues were provided on a day-to-day basis:
- concerning the procedure for obtaining legal protection for an invention/utility model (up to 30 consultations of this type per day);
- concerning defining the subject-matter of an invention or a utility model in the materials presented by the applicant (in total for the year – over 60 consultations);
Fulfilling user requests, the employees of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent provided appropriate paid services, including carrying out different types of search of patent information and documentation.
In particular, the following information searches were carried out during the 2018: 2,295 title searches were made by all IPR types on the requests of arbitration managers and liquidators of bankrupt enterprises, the Ministry of Justice of Ukraine, including 198 paid searches; 26 title searches by all IPR types ordered under the contracts; over 50 information searches regarding inventions and nearly 600 searches regarding utility models to conduct a preliminary evaluation of compliance of the declared object with conditions of legal protection; 49 searches within the specialized database "Inventions (Utility Models) in Ukraine" in sections A and C; 28 thematic (information) searches regarding inventions (utility models). In addition, upon the request of users 10 recommendations were given on drawing up application materials for inventions (utility models).
In April 2017 the WIPO Depository Library was open on the basis of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent with the free-of-charge access to the documents.
Publications related to different business procedures and patent information sources available to users, for example, books, brochures, Internet publications, etc.
The Ukrpatent website provides free access to:
- information on inventions (utility models) published in Annual Reports, Annual Technical Reports of the Office on Patent Information Activities prepared by Ukrpatent for WIPO, quarterly issues of the Internet publication "Industrial Property in Figures" (statistical information);
Periodicals, e.g. scientific and practical magazine "Intellectual Property in Ukraine", which is distributed as paper and electronic edition over the territory of Ukraine by subscription, publish articles (including by the specialists of the state system of intellectual property legal protection) on various matters and in particular relating to legal protection of inventions (utility models). The printed edition of the magazine is accessible free of charge at the PPDC of the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent.
The list of articles, speeches, slide presentations, methodical recommendations and practical manuals on topical issues of intellectual property, prepared by specialists of Ukrpatent for the period from 2004 to 2018, is available on the website of Ukrpatent. A certain part of the documents is available in electronic form.
Office's initiatives on providing foreign patent information in the local language(s) (e.g., machine translation tools, translation of abstracts)
Since 2017, the IPC Internet publication on the WIPO website has the link to the text of the current version of the IPC translated into Ukrainian through the "bridge" function.
In order to provide information support to the development and functioning of the state system of intellectual property legal protection, in particular, to improve the Ukrainian patent and terminology base, standardization and unification of terminology in the intellectual property sphere, Ukrpatent carries out translation of the WIPO Standards into Ukrainian, primarily those that have more practical value and relate to various IPR types, and ensures their timely updating.
Cooperation with universities, research centers, technology and innovation support centers, etc.
Over the reporting year with the purpose of updating patent collections of certain organizations of Ukraine (bodies of national system of scientific and technical information, in particular state and national libraries as well as universities, departments of which are entrusted with the appropriate information functions, including universities` business innovation centers) the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" on CD-ROM and the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" which contains specifications to the patents of Ukraine for inventions and utility models were sent free of charge to the specified and some other organizations of Ukraine according to the free of charge distribution Registries approved by the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine.
Education and training: training courses, e-learning modules (URLs), seminars, exhibitions, etc.
Significant attention was paid to the skills upgrading of experts of the state system of intellectual property legal protection.
In order to improve and update knowledge in the intellectual property sphere in accordance with the requirements of the professional qualification characteristics 28 specialists of Ukrpatent were directed to the Kyiv Institute of Intellectual Property and Law of the National University “Odessa Law Academy” for getting the qualification level "Master" in the field of intellectual property. Examiners and other specialists of Ukrpatent also improved knowledge of English.
During the year, within the framework of exchange of experience, training and skills upgrading, representatives of the state system of intellectual property legal protection took part in a number of events organized by WIPO, the EPO and intellectual property offices of foreign countries.
Every year, on a regular basis, WIPO organizes a number of free virtual seminars (webinars) devoted to issues related to the PCT system, the purpose of which is to inform users around the world on the current achievements, changes and updates in the system. In the reporting year, about 30 specialists of Ukrpatent took part in the WIPO webinars.
In 2018, bilateral cooperation between Ukrpatent and the EPO in the sphere of use of information resources was continued.
In March 2018, the Ukrpatent specialists took part in the annual meeting of the EPO EPOQUE Net search system users, where the issues of the development and improvement of this system were considered, the information was presented on innovations in the part of information and technical support and changes to the new version of the EPOQUE Net, that is important in the context of acting of Ukrpatent as ISA/IPEA.
In addition, the EPO organized a series of free webinars devoted to the patent information issues and usage of the patent Internet resources, primarily Espacenet. About 20 specialists of Ukrpatent took part in these webinars.
In order to promote knowledge in the intellectual property sphere, to support and encourage inventive and innovative activities WIPO together with the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and Ukrpatent organized and held a number of regional training seminars in the intellectual property sphere in Ukraine:
- April 24-25, 2018 – "Creation of the Technology and Innovation Support Centers Network in Ukraine", the speakers at the seminar were Andrew Czajkowski, Head of WIPO Innovation and Technology Support Section, and Mussadiq Hussain, Program Officer, WIPO Innovation and Technology Support Section.
- June 4-8, 2018 – "Issues on Patent Applications Drafting" (The National Patent Drafting Workshop), the audience of which consisted of Ukrainian intellectual property specialists: lawyers, patent attorneys, representatives of industrial enterprises, educational and research institutions from different regions of Ukraine.
November 21-23, 2018, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine together with the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine organized and held the Third International Forum "Innovation Market", which has become a meeting place for innovators, inventors, manufacturers and vendors of leading innovative technology, innovation experts, creators of startup projects, business representatives, investment and financial institutions representatives, consultants in the intellectual property sphere protection. In the exhibition area a stand of Ukrpatent was presented, which was attended by about 2.5 thousand visitors in the course of the event. Representatives of Ukrpatent also took part in the forum events: conferences, panel discussions, the scientific and practical seminar "Intellectual Property and Innovation Activity", the IP Marathon 2018 contest, etc.
In addition, Ukrpatent organized local events in the intellectual property sphere, which were held with the active participation of its specialists.
During a ceremonial meeting on the occasion of the Inventor and Innovator Day held at Ukrpatent on September 13, 2018, the specialists of the enterprise made a series of reports devoted to the relevant issues of the IP sphere: acting of Ukrpatent as ISA/IPEA, analysis of inventive activity of national applicants, information support of innovation activity, development of electronic document management and information systems of Ukrpatent.
November 14-15, 2018, Ukrpatent organized and held the conference "Important Issues in the Context of Industrial Property Rights Acquisition, Protection and Commercialization". Within the framework of the event, the role of Ukrpatent as a component of innovative development of the state and the activity of the office on the international scene as ISA/IPEA, were considered. The audience of the conference was made by patent attorneys, lawyers, IP specialists, representatives of scientific-publishing and business circles of Ukraine. Among the raised issues were: the ongoing dialogue with applicants, peculiarities of filing, processing and conducting examination of applications, acquisition and protection of IPRs, paperless technologies for cooperation between the applicant and the examination body, etc.
Over the course of 2018, to support educational activity and to popularize the intellectual property sphere Ukrpatent:
- conducted excursions to the Museum of Intellectual Property Legal Protection for IP specialists, students, postgraduate students, schools and colleges students, participants of the official foreign delegations, patent attorneys of the USA, Peoples Republic of China, Georgia, Poland, the EU, Ukraine as well as individual visitors. The total number of visitors to the Museum in 2018 exceeded 300 people;
- prepared and placed articles and slide presentations on the website, in the sub-section "Special Issue Materials about Prominent Personalities, Commemorative Dates and Events, in particular: "Powering change: Women in innovation and creativity" on the occasion of World Intellectual Property Day; "The Invention that Catches the Moment" on the occasion of the International Photographer Day and World Photography Day; "Inventive Activity During the Great Patriotic War"; "Made in Ukraine" on the occasion of the Inventor and Innovator Day; "The Symbol of the Ukrainian Science" on the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the Academician Boris Paton, the President of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine; "Space Unites the World" on the occasion of the World Space Week;
- published articles in the scientific and practical journal "Intellectual Property in Ukraine".
Detailed information on the activities of the state system of intellectual property legal protection in 2018 is published on the Ukrpatent website, in particular, in the quarterly issues of the Internet publication "Industrial Property in Figures" and is also included in the Annual Report on the Ukrpatent activities in 2018.
In 2018 the Department of Patent Information Services, Consultations and Innovation Activity Promotion of Ukrpatent ensured the functioning of the Industrial Property Internet Exchange (http://exchange.iii.ua/en) aimed at promoting domestic inventions on the market, encouraging the development of inventive and innovative activities, increasing the level of public awareness on the intellectual property importance and informing the wide range of stakeholders.
Contractual services provided to the customers of the Industrial Property Internet Exchange include:
- compilation, coordination, translation, posting on the web-site and follow-up of the information about their IPRs;
- work with individuals that have expressed an interest in the IPRs, represented on the Internet Exchange (over 400 consultations on the matters of functional activity of the Industrial Property Internet Exchange and the Innovations Department);
- 21 projects relating to inventions and utility models were placed in the Internet Exchange.
In total, 138 projects were prepared, placed and updated on the Industrial Property Internet Exchange in the reporting year.
To promote the development of talented and creative youth of Ukraine a useful resource is in operation – the Factory of Ideas (http://fabrikaidei.iii.ua/) – that unites young people keen on science seeking to develop the scientific potential of our state, to promote inventive activity and to implement their own ideas and developments in life.
The purpose of its functioning is to identify, support and promote the development of the gifted pupils and students, young scientists, inventors, researchers and innovators.
The users of the resource placed their best practices and ideas on the pages of the Factory of Ideas free of charge. In 2018 the Factory of Ideas had about 205 projects.
Innovation Promotion section functions on the Internet Exchange web-site and the Factory of Ideas resource. Information on existing contests, grants, conferences is published at this section to stimulate the growth of inventive activities and provide more opportunities to promising scientists for receiving financing and for developing business opportunities.
VI. INTERNATIONAL COOPERATION ACTIVITIES IN THE FIELD OF PATENT INFORMATION
International exchange and sharing of patent information in machine-readable form, e.g., priority documents, bibliographic data, abstracts, search reports, full text information
The functions of patent documentation international exchange are performed by Ukrpatent, recognized in 2003 by the law as the Centre of International Exchange of Publications according to the Convention on International Exchange of Publications, adopted on December 3, 1958 by the UN General Conference on the matters of education, science and culture.
In 2018, in the framework of international exchange of patent documentation, Ukrpatent received current foreign patent documentation on optical carriers from 8 foreign offices. As of December 31, 2018 Ukrpatent received nearly 400 optical discs.
It should be noted, that the decrease tendency retained in the number of disks with foreign patent documents received by Ukrpatent, which is connected with discontinuation by foreign patent offices of the traditional ways of publishing patent documents on physical carriers and providing access to it through the Internet and extension the data exchange, mainly through the offices FTP-servers.
Thus, in 2018 Ukrpatent downloaded patent documentation of four patent offices (the EAPO, Austria, Great Britain, Rospatent) from the FTP-servers to the Search Portal.
In 2018, in the framework of international exchange Ukrpatent also:
- sent the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" on CD-ROM to 8 foreign patent offices, the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" – to 3 offices.
- provided access via the FTP server to the Official Bulletin "Industrial Property" for the Austrian Patent Office, Japan Patent Office and Rospatent; to the data of the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" – for the EPO, Austrian Patent Office, Japan Patent Office and Rospatent.
In particular, in the framework of continuing cooperation with the EPO on data exchange aimed at providing representation of retrospective and current Ukrainian patent documentation in the EPO’s Еspacenet Internet resource and to fulfill Ukrpatent’s obligations under the relevant Agreements on access of Ukrpatent to the EPO EPOQUE Net search system, in the reporting year Ukrpatent uploaded under the defined procedure the national patent documentation from the National CD-ROM "Inventions in Ukraine" No. 24 for 2017 and Nos. 1-23 for 2018, to the FTP-server. Each uploading is accompanied by sending an appropriate message to the specified addresses at the EPO.
Participation in international or regional activities and projects related to patent information
In 2018, the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and Ukrpatent continued international cooperation in the field of intellectual property with WIPO, the EPO, the EAPO and intellectual property offices of other countries.
An important event was the official visit to Ukraine on January 24-28, 2018 of John Sandage, Deputy Director General of WIPO, Patents and Technology Sector, whose area of responsibility includes managing the International Patent System under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), functioning of the WIPO Arbitration and Mediation Center and supporting for the Standing Committee on the Law of Patents (SCP) as well as coordination the provision of legal advice in this area to different countries, and Evgeniy Sesitsky, Program Officer, Section for Caucasian, Central Asian and Eastern European Countries Section, Department for Transition and Developed Countries (TDC). This event took place on the occasion of reappointment of Ukrpatent as the International Searching Authority (ISA) and the International Preliminary Examining Authority (IPEA) until December 31, 2027.
Within the visit to Ukrpatent, the WIPO delegation held the meeting with the management and patent examiners of Ukrpatent where a significant increase in the number of international searches conducted by Ukrpatent was mentioned.
Also, during the WIPO delegation visit, a round table was held under the auspices of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade with the participation of patent attorneys of Ukraine and representatives of business circles regarding functioning of the PCT system, acting of Ukrpatent as ISA/IPEA, effective technology transfer and inventiveness support, national legislation improvement, foreign patenting promotion, mechanisms for effective resolution of domain disputes in the international format.
In 2018, representatives of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine and Ukrpatent participated in the WIPO events, in particular in sessions and meetings of the WIPO Committees and Working Groups, among them: the meeting of the Task Force on the IPC issues on the Management System of the IPC reclassification Working Lists and the 50th Session of the Committee of Experts of the IPC Union, the annual meeting of the ISA and IPEA Quality Subgroup and the 25th Session of the Meeting of International Authorities under the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT), 39th Session of IPC the Revision Working Group, the 11th Session of the Patent Cooperation Treaty (PCT) Working Group, the 35th, 36th, 37th and 38th Sessions of the Intergovernmental Committee on Intellectual Property, Genetic Resources, Traditional Knowledge and Folklore, the 28th Session of the Standing Committee on the Law of Patents and the WIPO Information Session on Patents and Standards.
In the framework of international cooperation, the Ukrpatent experts participated (online) in the work of five Task Forces of the Committee on WIPO Standards (CWS) on the development of new WIPO Standards, their updates and other CWS projects:
- Legal Status Task Force;
- Authority File Task Force;
- Sequence Listing Task Force (SEQL);
- Part 7 Task Force (Handbook on Industrial Property Information and Documentation);
- Public Access to Patent Information Task Force.
Cooperation with the EPO on data exchange aimed at providing representation of the Ukrainian patent documentation in the EPO’s Еspacenet Internet resource was continued.
In February 2018, a delegation of the Eurasian Patent Office (EAPO) visited Ukrpatent with a working visit. The EAPO delegation got acquainted with the work of the key structural divisions of Ukrpatent, during working meetings with the senior management and leading examiners of Ukrpatent the issues were discussed related to the control and improvement of the examination quality, the peculiarities of e-filing, the stages for processing of applications, the responsibilities sharing and the work load among examiners, professional growth and evaluation of specialists of the examination body, development and improvement of the technical basis, possibilities for patent search, etc.
In the reporting year, the cooperation with the Arab Republic of Egypt in the intellectual property sphere was started. In April 2018, the official delegation of this country visited Ukrpatent – the Minister of Public Enterprise Sector of the Arab Republic of Egypt, Khaled Mohamed Ali Badawi, the Advisor to the Minister for Investment and Restoration, Osama Mohamed Khalil Ibrahim Ezzo and the Head of the Office of the Minister of Public Enterprise Sector, Dalia Ibrahim Amin Tadros. The Egyptian specialists got acquainted with the work of examiners and main aspects of Ukrpatent's activities and key figures.
In June 2018, the working visits to Ukrpatent took place by:
- the delegation of WIPO representatives: Aida Dolotbayeva, the expert from the patent law sector of the WIPO Patent Law Division; Diego Vergan, the European and Swiss patent attorney; Ralph Atkinson, the European patent attorney;
- the US Patent Attorney registered in the State of Israel, Jerome R. Smith, on the matters of sharing experience relating to the practice of patenting inventions in the computer industry and in the biotechnology sphere.
At the end of June 2018, Ukrpatent hosted a delegation from the State Intellectual Property Office of the People's Republic of China (SIPO). Within the framework of the event, discussions on the organizational principles of the work of the Chinese office and Ukrpatent, discussion of proposals for further cooperation and sharing experience between the managers of the key units of the national intellectual property offices of China and Ukraine were held.
In September 2018, a working meeting of examiners of Ukrpatent with patent attorneys of Georgia and the European Union took place. The matters were considered on approaches of the European and Ukrainian legislation concerning determination whether the invention subject matter is the object of technology; peculiarities of conducting international searches; areas of the EU Patent Court work and prospects for its creation in Ukraine as well as many other issues that are currently important and interesting for examination procedure.
In November 2018, an information visit of the delegation of intellectual property experts of the Republic of Georgia took place.
Assistance to developing countries
VII. OTHER RELATED MATTERS
One of the primary objectives of the examination body is to ensure the effective functioning of the Quality Management System (QMS) introduced at Ukrpatent in 2012 (International Certificate No. 321012076 of October 17, 2012).
Certificate No. 321012076/1 concerning the QMS, received by Ukrpatent under the established procedure, was valid from November 19, 2015 till September 14, 2018.
In July 2018, an independent certification organization carried out the recertification audit for confirmation of the Ukrpatent QMS compliance with the requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 international standard.
Based on the results of the audit Ukrpatent was granted a new Certificate No. 321012076/2 of the Ukrpatent QMS complies with the requirements of the ISO 9001:2015 which is valid for the next three years – from September 15, 2018 till September 14, 2021.
1.Classification is allotting one or more classification symbols (e.g., IPC symbols) to a patent application, either before or during search and examination, which symbols are then published with the patent application.
2. Preclassification is allotting an initial broad classification symbol (e.g., IPC class or subclass, or administrative unit) to a patent application, using human or automated means for internal administrative purposes (e.g., routing an application to the appropriate examiner). Usually preclassification is applied by the administration of an office.
3. Reclassification is the reconsideration and usually the replacement of one or more previously allotted classification symbols to a patent document, following a revision and the entry into force of a new version of the Classification system (e.g., the IPC). The new symbols are available on patent databases.